Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

CPS shield?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 07:41 PM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default CPS shield?

Was under my landy today and noticed this piece which seems quite loose in the way parts on a car are not meant to be loose (see video). Upon some quick googling, I think this is my CPS sensor cover, but I’m not sure. Is it meant to be loose like that? I can’t get a good enough look to see if there’s a bolt missing or something. Also, I haven’t the faintest clue why it’s covered in what appears to be....hair. Any ideas, anyone?

Attached Files
Old 12-02-2018, 08:43 PM
Winching
Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

Oh my, my, my. You might be in for an adventure.
Hope not, though.
Crank Pos Sensor Mount Flopping

Old 12-03-2018, 07:15 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by hrhoward
Oh my, my, my. You might be in for an adventure.
Hope not, though.
Crank Pos Sensor Mount Flopping
Holy god, is there NO mercy? I have so many questions... Who, what, why, but probably the greatest being how could my car possibly be starting, running, with this thing flopping around? My rover will start when hot as well as it'll start cold, engine runs like a top. I don't have the means or training to pull an engine, maybe I could remove the cover and JB weld the plate back into place? It's clearly not a super-sensitive component if the engine is running as well as it is with it flopping around down there...

Old 12-03-2018, 09:07 AM
Winching

There is an inspection cover between the oil pan and bell housing. Remove that and look too see if the ckp (crank position sensor) bracket is in fact loose and not just the shield. Pray for the latter.

The CKP is very important. Determines timing and tells ECM the rpm.

Mine ran fine for several months with it loose. It was chirping a bit but I thought it was something belt-driven. Started noticing the intensity of the chirp changed on hwy ramps. With engine running, took a long brass bar and ever-so gently touched the sensor's shield (the hairy thingy).

It growled. My heart sank.

Old 12-03-2018, 10:26 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by hrhoward
There is an inspection cover between the oil pan and bell housing. Remove that and look too see if the ckp (crank position sensor) bracket is in fact loose and not just the shield. Pray for the latter.

The CKP is very important. Determines timing and tells ECM the rpm.

Mine ran fine for several months with it loose. It was chirping a bit but I thought it was something belt-driven. Started noticing the intensity of the chirp changed on hwy ramps. With engine running, took a long brass bar and ever-so gently touched the sensor's shield (the hairy thingy).

It growled. My heart sank.
I'll have to have a look when I get home tonight. Does it seem like the sort of thing I could just realign and JB weld into place? Is it just the lack of access that makes it difficult? I imagine if the welds are snapped I could probably just fit them back together like puzzle pieces and smother the thing in JB weld... It's not exactly a high-stress application, which leads me to wonder how exactly the welds break in the first place.

Also - why is the cover hairy????

Old 12-03-2018, 12:23 PM
Winching

I don't think you would be able to epoxy it back. Maybe if you can clean both surfaces, keep it on the roll pin, not bend any of the thin teeth on the flex plate (not the ring gear) and shave the thickness of your fingers by at least a half.

It's hairy because when you are messing with it, sometimes is hard to see and you just need to feel for it.

Old 12-03-2018, 06:54 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 401 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by vanbadri
Holy god, is there NO mercy?
Tada, you bought a Land Rover! It wasn't popular to wax down there until the mid 2000's. If your having misfires you found your fuzzy bunny.

Old 12-03-2018, 10:47 PM
Mudding

It was the cover!!! Took off the inspection plate (did the little round one first and realized the flywheel was in the way) and sure enough, the CPS was rock solid in there, reluctor ring was A-okay, flywheel looked great. Of course as it’s a Land Rover, the project had to have me cursing at some point, which was removing the (proper) inspection plate - one of the little 5/16” bolts stripped out on me so I tried EVERYTHING to salvage it, followed by a few minutes with the hacksaw. Funny enough, once the head was sawed off and the plate removed, the threaded portion of the nut screwed right out, guess the head had bonded to the plate.

With all that being said, I think it may be time to put the rover up for sale, this one was a little too close for comfort - I’ve done all of the preventative maintenance I can really do without a lift or crane, and this still could have easily left me no choice but to sell if it had gone the other way...

Terrible jokes aside, I still have no idea why that thing is covered in hair.

Old 12-04-2018, 10:22 AM
TReK
Received 471 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by vanbadri

Terrible jokes aside, I still have no idea why that thing is covered in hair.
Hey, I liked those jokes!!

Old 12-04-2018, 11:44 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 401 Likes on 385 Posts

They could’ve been more descriptive..... Anyways don’t let the Lucas Luck get ya down, I simply wore my Rover out and it was less expensive to replace it. I’ve never needed a lift, I use ramps, floor jacks, stands and creeper, keeps me in shape.

Quick Reply: CPS shield?