Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

I need an OBD receptacle

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 11:21 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need an OBD receptacle

Happy Friday...

Not sure if this should go here or under "Classified"

I just found my OBD receptacle, hanging loose under my dash. Vehicle is 1996 Discovery I. I can't find any broken parts or clips that would have held it securely in position so... I guess I need a new (Used) OBD receptacle complete with wiring harness and any clips or devices needed to anchor it back where it should be, firmly attached.

Thanks for any help.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:19 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

its most likely because someone removed the foam panel that used to be there that it was mounted to. I wouldn't worry about it. I usually tuck mine away to the right or just use a zip tie to keep in in place, its really not a big deal.

Old 07-30-2010, 01:53 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

yup, you have to replace the panel under the dash. It secures in that thing.

Old 07-30-2010, 01:53 PM
4wd Low

Thanks Spencerfitch...

I did plug my scanner in with the plugs hanging. I got a "Communications Error" on my Actron scanner so I thought it might have to be grounded against the frame. I guess I have some other OBD problem. The scanner works fine on my wife's 99 Disco II. I appreciate the response...

Old 07-30-2010, 02:07 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Make sure you dont have a blown fuse. Think the cig lighter is the comm power fuse too...

Old 07-30-2010, 02:17 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Voyageur
Thanks Spencerfitch...

I did plug my scanner in with the plugs hanging. I got a "Communications Error" on my Actron scanner so I thought it might have to be grounded against the frame. I guess I have some other OBD problem. The scanner works fine on my wife's 99 Disco II. I appreciate the response...

Ah, no it doesn't have to be grounded on anything. As OK said check the fuse if thats not the problem, Im not sure what is, if you absolutly need a new plug I can get you one Im just not sure how where the wiring goes from it, or how difficult it may be to remove the whole harness.

Old 07-30-2010, 02:22 PM
4wd Low

Thanks to both of you. Cigarette lighter is good. I run my 276C on it all the time. I'l mess around a little and make sure the receptacle is clean and that I have a good connection. Maybe I'll try "OBD Global" language instead of the Actron "Land Rover" setting. I'll post results...

Old 08-13-2010, 11:47 AM
6th Gear
Default OBD plug

I have a 95 and 96 disco where do I find the OBD plug on the vehicle and is it I or II my check engine light is on and I wold like to know what is the problem it runs rough I did a tune up plugs and wires but the same thing NEED Help

Old 08-13-2010, 12:25 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OBD II connection is under the dash on drivers side. '96 and newer are OBD II. Good luck.

Old 08-14-2010, 01:03 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

on my 97 I did not have power at the diagnostic connector and found that it goes to the security module for power, I would check all the fuses for a place to start if you are having electrical issues, I have also found that the fuse descriptions in these trucks are not always what they seem!

Quick Reply: I need an OBD receptacle