Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Diff/Lock High Low Shift Knob Lever just spins???

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 11:43 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Danny Lee...Yes that is the part that I was referring too......

Thank you for the picture and the diagram....

OK...Here goes..I was outside all this afternoon trying to see what exactly was disconnected....now since I have the diagram I can tell you the parts that I found hanging and disconnected (for whatever reason)

In the diagram..... Tonight I found that...
----the connector link was not connected to the lever/diff lock (31,18)
I was able to reconnect that
----the clevis end that is tied to the selector rod transfer ratio (25,26) was all connected, but the clevis end was not connected to the transfer case (not sure if I am saying that right) (there was an L Bend that had a hole that I noticed the clevis end appeared to go into)...so i connected that.

Now my **** and gears when in neutral go into their desired places for diff/lock N and H and L....I played around with that for a few seconds and attempted to put it into all the different gears ..then put it into drive and the truck didnt move????

What I believe to be N the truck engages and drives?? Funny thing now is that the Diff are not locked anymore (good thing) and the tires are not grabbing anymore to the dry road...

But I guess the problem is now what???? No light still on dash...and the gears do not seem to be engaging or maybe the H is the only one working

I hope this makes some sense...like I said, I know enough mechanically to get bye (thats all)

Thank you all for the responses....they have been such a great help!!!

Time to start packing tomorrow..Hurricane Irene is on the way and we have a MANDATORY evacuation down here at the Shore...

Old 08-28-2011, 10:46 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like something may have gotten bent or damaged possibly from wear such that it no longer aligns with the positions it originally was designed to have.

These linkages are pretty flimsy for such a stout vehicle and being the gear ratio selection and diff lock functions. I have seen a pneumatic (air powered) selector for the diff lock conversion on the DII as an aftermarket kit.

You could even cut a opening in the side of the tranny tunnel and do away with the factory linkage and install a lever or linkage to directly move the selector plate at the bottom of that goofy factory linkage.

Good luck with that storm surge.

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 08-28-2011 at 10:50 AM.