Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Diff lock light on, horrible grinding noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 11:50 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diff lock light on, horrible grinding noise

I've got a '97 Disco 1 and I need to move it without a front driveshaft (bad front differential). I was able to get it into diff lock and move it a ways but then it seemed like it dropped out of lock (even though the light was on). At this point it started a winding up grinding noise. It's not in a good spot right now and I still need to move it a few blocks. Any suggestions?

Old 03-05-2012, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

I drove mine around for a couple of weeks on rear shaft (front shaft removed) with CDL engaged. Maybe it has slipped out, just wasn't fully engaged, even though enough to operate light switch. try shifting around some more?

Old 03-05-2012, 12:05 PM
Overlanding

The light comes on but it never seems to stay in lock, it seemed better when I yanked on the shifter and held it but that makes it pretty hard to drive.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:10 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The key words are: WITH THE FRONT DRIVE SHAFT REMOVED!

If you have a damaged front diff and you want to move it, you need to disconnect the front drive shaft. Remove the driveshaft then lock the center diff and you will have a rear wheel drive Discovery.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:13 PM
Overlanding

The front driveshaft is removed, sitting on a garbage bag in my garage now. The problem is that it won't stay in lock - though it does shift from low to neutral to high.

Old 03-05-2012, 01:19 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine will turn the light on once engaged but won't turn the light off when disengaged until I've moved a little...though it will also make a steady chime when not engaged in one or the other.

Make SURE you are fully locked, try high and low. It might be a bit of a struggle if you don't use it but every blue moon.

Old 03-05-2012, 01:26 PM
Overlanding

This truck is new to me, just got it last weekend so I'm not sure if anyone has really used the CDL. I was able to get it to go for a bit but now it seems like it will shift from high to neutral but not reliably into low and never into lock. Even when the light comes on the truck doesn't move at all so I'm sure it's not actually locked. Here's the thing, it's stuck in a parking lot at the local university where I work so all of my tools are far, far away!

Anyone got any tricks for loosening a frozen CDL that don't involve ripping the console apart?

Old 03-05-2012, 02:40 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If it is slipping out of lock, then you may need to crawl under and clean/lubricate the linkage so it will fully engage the diff lock.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:43 PM
Overlanding

I can tell that this is going to be awesome. I suppose it's time to buy coveralls and shares in Liquid Wrench.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:48 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by callmehero
I can tell that this is going to be awesome. I suppose it's time to buy coveralls and shares in Liquid Wrench.
Great idea to keep clean(er). My shifter works great, but I need to crawl under for annual maintenance so it KEEPS working properly.

Quick Reply: Diff lock light on, horrible grinding noise