Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery I (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/)
-   -   Disco I Ownership Thread (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/disco-i-ownership-thread-92643/)

Toran 01-11-2019 02:39 PM

OverRover for president!

CaptainClif 01-12-2019 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by Toran (Post 676068)
OverRover for president!

Haha actually it just looks like there is a special cap, the thing behind the cap isn't connected to the tank and is for something else. This tank came from Rock Auto and doesn't have a level sensor, but I might look into that sensor now!

Toran 01-12-2019 09:08 AM

You got a sweet looking truck no doubt. I believe I had been eye balling this same truck as it was posted on craigslist in the Cincinnati area for awhile. I hope it brings years of joy to you.

stillruns 01-12-2019 09:42 AM

Liking this thread. :thumbsup: I should have posted something similar when i replaced my hoses and spark plugs. Next time.

CaptainClif 01-12-2019 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Toran (Post 676151)
You got a sweet looking truck no doubt. I believe I had been eye balling this same truck as it was posted on craigslist in the Cincinnati area for awhile. I hope it brings years of joy to you.

Where are you located at? There were two almost identoiid postings on CL, this one which is missing the front bumper, and another one which was a 5SPD. This car is insanely rust free and runs extremely well but when I post the rear driveshaft DIY, youll see why the PO probably wanted to sell it.

Toran 01-14-2019 07:23 AM

Nice.
I was in Cincinnati, Ohio. Now I am in Toronto, Canada.
I'll start a new thread pertaining to the coolant cap as not hijack your thread. :)

WaltNYC 01-14-2019 09:28 AM

Here's a useful tip...

Pulling the bottom radiator hose can make an unholy and hazardous mess. Get 4 feet of 5/8" OD hose and siphon the coolant out of the top of the radiator. That will get you well below the thermostat. If you need to drain the entire system then pull the bottom rad hose.

I use a brass fill plug to avoid the situation you encountered with the plastic version. These trucks are all now officially 'old' and all rubber and plastic is brittle.

stillruns 01-14-2019 09:50 AM

Walt

How much to siphon out of the rad? What is OD?

thanks

CaptainClif 01-14-2019 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by WaltNYC (Post 676398)
Here's a useful tip...

Pulling the bottom radiator hose can make an unholy and hazardous mess. Get 4 feet of 5/8" OD hose and siphon the coolant out of the top of the radiator. That will get you well below the thermostat. If you need to drain the entire system then pull the bottom rad hose.

I use a brass fill plug to avoid the situation you encountered with the plastic version. These trucks are all now officially 'old' and all rubber and plastic is brittle.

That is a great piece of advice for future projects that do not require an entire drain. And yes, to anyone that is removing the original old plastic fill plug, but either a brand new plastic one (less than $5 from the dealership) or get the brass version. The old one is bound to cause a massive headache if you try and put it back on.

Originally Posted by stillruns (Post 676401)
Walt

How much to siphon out of the rad? What is OD?

thanks

Not sure the exact amount, but I would think 1 gallon would be plenty. OD=Outside Diameter.

WaltNYC 01-14-2019 02:39 PM

If you are just doing a thermostat, removing one gallon would be plenty.