Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Disco knock

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 07:01 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quick update, I haven't given up yet. Thank you for the guidance PT. I have not had time to get to the heads. I did try the aforementioned removing of the belt. and everything seemed fine. As far as the vacuum leak, I do agree there seems to be a leak. I have tried to trace it down with no avail. I can tell particularly off idle it stumbles a bit and seems to be dying for air. Any more help would be appreciated. Some more information, my wonderful gf just bought a 97 Disco as well, so I can pull parts etc if needed. Maybe its just my eternal optimism, but I just can't seem to get away from the idea of timing or other options along those lines.

Old 08-20-2011, 07:03 PM
Three Wheeling

also, I am not aware of an oil separator or where to go with that.

Old 08-20-2011, 07:16 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

It looks like Oil Separator - Valve Cover | Land Rover Engine Parts at RoverParts.com, it is located on the right hand valve cover, in a metal tube that pokes up, and a rubber hose slips over it. You can extract it with needle nose pliers, clean with solvent. It basically a baffle to allow just oil vapors to be drawn off. If plugged up, the oil PSI can make oil squeeze out of various seals.

Old 08-20-2011, 07:48 PM
Three Wheeling

So, I just went out and looked at this and I apparently there is no oil separator on my Disco. However, I looked on the girlfriends and there is definitely one in hers. Strange...... Would this have anything to do with my symptoms?

Old 08-20-2011, 08:46 PM
Super Moderator

Not sure, if plugged, just does not allow oil vapor under pressure to be burned off.

As to water pump issues, see photo of what a WP that scrapes does. Usually wobbles and you can put the Mark I eyeball on the belt when at idle and see it wiggle.

Attached Thumbnails Disco knock-p1030593.jpg   Disco knock-p1030596.jpg  
Old 08-20-2011, 09:38 PM
Three Wheeling

I don't think its the water pump (but certainly won't rule it out completely). However, there are a few more updates. Did find a coolant leak in one of the hoses (the one above the left side valve cover by the oil separator) and noticed that there is definitely some arcing from the wires to the engine. Will try to work on those tomorrow and order the oil separator Monday.

Old 08-20-2011, 09:53 PM
Super Moderator

So you have an oil seperator hose connection to the valve cover, with the hose attached, just nothing inside (may be pushed down inside)? Or missing the hose (other end would go to intake somewhere, to suck in the oil vapors - if not attached it is a vacuum leak).

Sparks can be seen easier this time of day with no lights on. Sometimes just bad boots. Sometimes need new wires. Can cause all sorts of hesitation, poor performance.

Old 08-20-2011, 09:57 PM
Three Wheeling

Correct, the hose connection straight to the valve cover with the hose attached and nothing inside. If it is pushed down inside it is way down in there and no way of getting it out besides removing the valve covers I assume. I really don't think there is anything there though.

I just replaced the plugs and wires. I will check the boots and wires when I can.

Thanks for the guidance.

Allen

Old 08-21-2011, 11:26 AM
Three Wheeling

Another update, pulled the plugs and the farthest back plug on the passenger side had some oil surrounding the hole but not on the plug itself.... the mystery continues!

Old 08-22-2011, 05:19 AM
Super Moderator

If not on the electrode, good, probably just valve cover gasket. You have to snug those up from time to time - 8mm 12 point deep socket (most big auto parts stores sell them individually).

Quick Reply: Disco knock