Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery I (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/)
-   -   discovery 1 35 inch tires (really 315/75 r16) (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/discovery-1-35-inch-tires-really-315-75-r16-50093/)

XDdisco 05-29-2012 08:43 PM

discovery 1 35 inch tires (really 315/75 r16)

I know a lot of people don't like to run 35 inch (in my case 315/75 r16) on discoveries. I have the room to fit them but was wondering what offset rim to run. I now run 285/75s with 30 mm spacers on stock rims and the vehicle turns fine (no rubbing). I have a 2 inch suspension and 2 inch body lift. I have also applied the flexi flares (75mm) that lucky 8 sells. I would like to have them come close to the width of the flares, but also don't want to casue too much stress on the components. Anyone have any experiences with this type of setup. Also are there any helpful suggestions for running this tire size. I do plan to upgrade axles, dif gears, carriers, drive shafts.....

fishEH 05-29-2012 10:23 PM

Talk to Jake.

wheelgarage 05-29-2012 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by fishEH (Post 322843)
Talk to Jake.

Ditto.

You are at the cusp of the real part of your build. Definitely, need the right stuff the get it all working as it should. If you are going to run a 35's, gearing will fo'sho be a necessity.....

Jake1996D1 05-30-2012 09:50 AM

I have 35x12.5x15 MTR's on 15x8 rims 4.25 backspacing.

I have the same fender flares as you and 4" of lift thru coils and coil spacers.

As far as gears, I have 4.11's but if I was to do it again I would go with Ashcrofts 4.37's.

Drive shafts I suggest Tom Woods

Axles I have Rovertracks axles and cvs in the front and Ashcrofts in the rear.. I again suggest Ashcrofts especically since they are the only option for front half shafts and CV's now.. And make sure you get HD axle flanges.

Call Justin at L8 he will have everything that you need. Hope you've been saving your $$ :D

XDdisco 05-30-2012 08:36 PM

I know it will be an expensive venture. Jake, does your tires come out to the edge of your flares with that backspacing? I was thinking of the 4.37, but in your opinion will the 4.75 be overkill. I do drive it around town, but do a fare amout of rocks. Also I am thinking of the new ascroft air lockers for front and rear over ARBs...anyone have experience with these?

llesra 05-30-2012 09:03 PM

i have that size on a 16x8 4.5 bs wheel and the tires only stick out a little more than an inch. wish i bought the 4.25 bs wheels, but my 50mm flexi flares should be coming in any day now.

jafir 05-30-2012 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by XDdisco (Post 323033)
I know it will be an expensive venture. Jake, does your tires come out to the edge of your flares with that backspacing? I was thinking of the 4.37, but in your opinion will the 4.75 be overkill. I do drive it around town, but do a fare amout of rocks. Also I am thinking of the new ascroft air lockers for front and rear over ARBs...anyone have experience with these?

Just doing the math without any other considerations, going from 29" tires (I know, you've got 33") with 3.54 gears, up to a 35" you'd need 4.27 gears, so 4.37 would be pretty close and your speedo would also.

There is a set of D1 diffs with 4.10 gears and rear locker with rear HD axle shafts for sale on discoweb.org

Jake1996D1 05-30-2012 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by XDdisco (Post 323033)

Yea I can take a pic for you if you would like. 4.75 may be overkill if youre on the highway much. Otherwise go for it. The pinion tooth count is the same on all the Ashcroft stuff now which is a very good thing. And the tooth count on the ring isn't much more.

I'd go with all Ashcroft gear including lockers. I have a Detroit and a trutrac now however I may swap the front for an Ashcroft in the future.

XDdisco 05-31-2012 11:00 AM

Thank you everyone for the information. It has been very helpful.

Jake, I would love to see pics, thanks.

Jafir, thanks for the link, I will check out the for sale items.

llersa, I will look into the difference on the back spacing. Which offset do you think would work best to be even with the 75mm flares on a Disco 1. I am assuming 4.25s.

Thanks again to all. If there are anymore helpful tips, please let me know. I want to do the build right the first time.

XDdisco 05-31-2012 11:08 AM

llersa, I looked on the discoweb for those parts for sale. It said there was no new listings within 30 days. Any help on finding them would be appreciated...Thanks