Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery I (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/)
-   -   Do It Yourself D1 Seat Repair (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/do-yourself-d1-seat-repair-38148/)

jacumja 02-09-2011 04:40 PM

Do It Yourself D1 Seat Repair

3 Attachment(s)
Broken Seat/Ass Sling Tutorial
Cost : $6 worth of good duct tape, don't be cheap, your ass will thank you and no sense in doing it twice just to save $3.
Time : 2 hours
Knowledge level : I did it didn't I ?

Don't laugh guys this is my first attempt at giving back to the community.

So my 1st Land Rover I ever owned came equipped with a Special Edition Ghetto Seat. Basically the seat was sunken in and when you sat in it your butt hit the floor. I assumed the springs were broken and started looking for a new set online before even yanking the seat out. I quickly found that I couldn't find any springs. So I yanked the seat out last Sunday and flipped it to find this. Now I could be wrong but that "sling" Rover decided to use rather than springs all the way across. Looks and feels like the sacks my Grandma made us put picked peaches into. Then on the outsides they uses some sort of leather/plastic material to attach said peach bag to the hooks holding it to the frame.
Attachment 45932
Attachment 45933

I figured I could buy new seat/s have it repaired which a local shop quoted me $175 on or do it myself.Anyway I measured out the material as tight as possible but where it would still be able to reattach. Remember duct tape does not stretch.
1. I reinforced the material vertically so the rip would not come together. Causing it to be to small to hook back to the frame. Note that I like to over lap the outside edges of my duct tape to ad strength to it.
2. Next I repeated the process horizontally. Make sure to cut of go around the eyelets for the hooks. Also over lap the material so you can go over it when you flip it over on the other side. It will make it stronger as well.

Attachment 45934

3. Hook the highly modified ass sling back to the frame and test before re installing it into the Rover Note it won't look as full as the passenger seat and it will be firm but not bad.

Spike555 02-09-2011 08:01 PM

Not to bad, good for you.

demonlarry 02-09-2011 08:33 PM

SAAB used to sell replacement seat bladders. a lot of european cars have this problem. I would like to attempt this but the previous owner removed the ass sling and placed an old pillow in there. I need to find a replacement seat.

tweakrover 02-09-2011 08:55 PM

I made the seat sling out of vinyl upholstery fabric sewed it in a loop inserted the wires and hooks, its worked pretty good. to answer your qu the reason they dont use springs is it is a suspension seat design. springs bottom out, not good in offroading hit a bump, nice and squishy then BAM! suspension just keeps streching til it doesn't need to any more, like falling into a hundred layers of foam each one getting more dense til it slow you to a stop. if you look at your pic the dark strips are rubber made to strech, just not made to last 15 years.

jacumja 02-09-2011 11:57 PM

Spike555
Thanks I'm glad you like my first attempt at "Rover Modding" I'm going to do wheel bearings this weekend.

DemonLarry

Surely you can hit a junkyard and grab the ass sling and foam pad from the passenger side. If I had to do it over that's what I do. Obviously the passenger seats always get less wear and would feel brand new compared to the drivers side. My passenger cloth seat looks like it just had the shrink wrap pulled off of it.

You had more materials and down time than me. I was working from a CVS parking lot in Holden Beach, North Carolina ( you'll know where that is) on Super Bowl Sunday and the Oyser Roast at Main Street wasn't waiting on me. I'd love to do some beach camping/wheeling/fishing/drinking if your know any good places, I live in Myrtle Beach and would love to explore The Banks.

jacumja 02-10-2011 12:00 AM

Fyi day 3 on my Limited Edition Ducts Seat and she's holding up nicely. Not to firm and does have a little bit of give under 230lbs.

rover11 02-10-2011 11:34 AM

Do you have pictures of it installed?

Danny Lee 97 Disco 02-10-2011 12:08 PM

Good Job. I have found that with good Duct Tape, a good imagination and some effort a lot came be accomplished. I call it Redneck Engineering, but then I am from Georgia (the home of the Redneck Comedy Tour star Jeff Foxworthy) and did attend Ga Tech (attended but never graduated).

tweakrover 02-10-2011 06:25 PM

cool a roverist from the area. yea it would be great to get together and do roverish things.

jacumja 02-12-2011 09:47 AM

Danny Lee Disco, I was raised in Augusta, Georgia. You ain't a redneck because you can Macguyver with duct tape. Your damned sure not one if you got accepted to Georgia Tech. If you were a redneck you'd have gone to ABAC (Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College).