Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery I (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/)
-   -   Dreaded Code P1178 = Overhaul (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/dreaded-code-p1178-%3D-overhaul-47643/)

Josh.0 02-21-2012 08:49 AM

Dreaded Code P1178 = Overhaul

Car is a 1998 Disco LSE. Car was running with no problems at all. CEL for 02 sensors have been on for a while and just havent changed them yet. On Friday went out with a friend, got back in it. It cranked, started, stumbled and died. A new code appeared. P1178. I let it sit for a while, researched the code and came back later that night. Cleaned the MAF, jumped it and she started right up. I ran it Friday night. Drove it saturday and sunday, no problems. Start it up and stop it multiple times on Monday and no problems. Then when I go to lunch she does the same thing. Cleaned the MAF and no luck. She'll start, sputter for about 5 seconds and die.

I spent about 2 hours yesterday evening working on her. I cleaned the MAF again, I replaced the air filter, cleaned the the throttle body (without taking it off yet) and checked all the hoses and wires. Still wont idle. From what I've read on here the next steps are to remove the TB and intake, replace the gasket and then retorque the intake bolts and replace the fuel filter and fuel pump. This weekend I plan on doing the pre cat 02's, fuel pump, fuel filter, plugs and wires and new intake gasket. I'm still fairly new to Rovers and want to make sure I get the best (which you can rarely buy at NAPA or O'Rielys). What are the best choices for these, where can I get them and does this sound like a good solution? Thanks in advance. Sorry for the novel.

Higgs Boson 02-21-2012 08:56 AM

Stop cleaning a bad MAF and replace it with a good one? Either the O2's are causing the ECU to hit "tilt", or the MAF puked and the ECU has no clue how much air is flowing.

Don't pull the intake yet. Pull the IAC out and clean it, and the port it goes into. Get it to run before you go change anything, that way you will KNOW what the issue was.

Where are you located? I could point you in the right direction if I knew. Don't buy ANY parts yet, install the O2's if you already have them. You may get the MAF to respond by giving it a good smack, if it isn't completely toast at this point.

Josh.0 02-21-2012 09:02 AM

Working on finding a local MAF at the moment to see if that's the problem. The land rover dealership here wanted 2k for an OEM original one.

Higgs Boson 02-21-2012 09:03 AM

Where are you located?

Josh.0 02-21-2012 09:09 AM

Dallas

Higgs Boson 02-21-2012 09:19 AM

You have a PM. Hope this helps you.

Josh.0 02-21-2012 09:24 AM

Thanks Higgs. Some good information there. For the other items I've seen a few different opinions on what plugs to use and what wires. I have seen where 8mm seems to be the best. What brands and where are the best locations to order?

Higgs Boson 02-21-2012 09:57 AM

I'm running Autolite plugs, and wires from the source I gave you. I spent almost as much on plugs than I did on the wires. Standard Ignition makes good wires reasonable, like $50 a set if you have a parts store that isn't a stealer. I haven't had to buy any wires or plugs in the last 2 years though, so prices may be higher now.

Chris-bob 02-21-2012 10:55 AM

Have you inspected anything? Have you checked fuel pressure? Have you checked for vacuum leaks? Check for cracked/deteriorated hoses.

Josh.0 02-21-2012 12:00 PM

Checked all the hoses and they appear to be good. Hard to get a fuel pressure and vacuum test when it won't idle.