Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery I (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/)
-   -   The dreaded leaking sunroof??? (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/dreaded-leaking-sunroof-45711/)

Sarah English 12-06-2011 08:10 AM

The dreaded leaking sunroof???

I bought a 99 Discovery last year from a friend. She advised me the sunroof leaked and according to a few sources the 99 was the last year they used this particular sunroof b/c of leaking issues. So I purchased a new seal from a UK dealer but have yet to install. However a month ago I ran into a guy who figuered out that when they installed the plastic mounts close the the sunvisor that runs across the entire front of the car and surrounds the sunroof switch they drilled straight through the tubes that lead from the sunroof thus causing the water to come straight through. The water runs down the headliner and drips onto the steering wheel/dashboard on both sides of the car. What do I do?? He completely stripped his headliner out and while it looks ultra rugged it has left it looking bare. Can I fix this myself? If they did put the screws through the tubes and I epoxy them where do I put the screws back in to hold the plastic mounts up or can I just move the tubes around it? I have 3 pics on photobucket showing water stains on the headliner and also of the plastic mount that I guess I will have to take off.

Any ideas?

Pictures by limey3706 - Photobucket

99 Discovery I
137Khttp://s1138.photobucket.com/albums/n525/limey3706/

Sam95disco 12-06-2011 08:33 AM

I have that issue with mine, I'm just gonna seal the top. I don't open them anyways and I don't want my a/c to short.

Sarah English 12-06-2011 08:42 AM

Your just going to seal your sunroof??

hilltoppersx 12-06-2011 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Sarah English (Post 285301)

a lot of people just seal them shut with silicone because they have a great tendency to leak.

if you take your headliner out you can cut the drain tubes and reattach them to the drain spout, which is where I think it's leaking from. not sure where you are saying they drilled thru the roof. the sun visor screws into place into pre-set mounts in the roof. the clip that holds the sun visor forward is a plastic push pin... if i were you i would take the headliner out. see where it's leaking then pul the fabric and foam off the headliner and paint it and put it back in. you can find out how to paint it in the tech help section of this forum.

alpinacsi 12-06-2011 09:51 AM

I just went thru this and once the headliner is removed; you will be able to quickly see the issue. I also took the opportunity to repair my sunroofs to proper operation as they were binding during operation and the clips were broken on a few of my sun blinds.

With the headliner removed, you can see where the drain tubes go to a plastic part that is attached to the metal tray that secures the sunroof. The plastic part is secure to the tray with silicone adhesive and it is most likely leaking in this area. I removed the metal tray and throughly cleaned the surfaces of the old adhesive, wiped with acetone and reattached the plastic and drain tubes. Also keep in mind if the front is an issue: the rear is most likely as well. After I did the repairs; I drove for a week or so in the rain without the headliner to make sure I had addressed all of the leaks.

If the headliner has water stains and if it is dropping/sagging in places; this is the time to address this issue as well. There are several DIYs here on the site that will detail the proceedure of removal and replacement of the material. I am not a fan of the painted headliner but many here have done that as well.

Sarah English 12-06-2011 09:59 AM

awesome, thanks for the input everyone.

Sam95disco 12-06-2011 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Sarah English (Post 285301)

yep, I don't want to deal with the head liner and a/c.

hilltoppersx 12-06-2011 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Sam95disco (Post 285343)
yep, I don't want to deal with the head liner and a/c.

the headliner will sag no matter the sunroof leaking or not. thats why i made the painting the headboard write up in the tech section. no more fabric = no more sagging

rovergirl84 12-15-2011 03:44 PM

Leaking Roof

I have a 98 Land Rover Discovery. I am glad I am not the only one that has to deal with the leaking roof!! It is nice to know that I am not alone! Would any one have any advice on what exactly I can do to just simply deal with the issue? It has been raining a lot today and water is just dripping from the headliner, mostly around the back sun roof. I have towels down and plastic to protect the leather seats, but is there anything else I can do? It seems to get a lot worse when I start to drive and the water shifts around. I really don't want things to get ruined!

hilltoppersx 12-15-2011 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by rovergirl84 (Post 287293)
I have a 98 Land Rover Discovery. I am glad I am not the only one that has to deal with the leaking roof!! It is nice to know that I am not alone! Would any one have any advice on what exactly I can do to just simply deal with the issue? It has been raining a lot today and water is just dripping from the headliner, mostly around the back sun roof. I have towels down and plastic to protect the leather seats, but is there anything else I can do? It seems to get a lot worse when I start to drive and the water shifts around. I really don't want things to get ruined!

gotta drop the headliner and fix the issue. most likely those drain tubes have come loose. they are only rubber and dry out over time. your other option as stated above is just seal it for good with some silicone, then you can't open it ever but don't have to worry about it either.