Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Drivers door handle fell apart - locked!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 07:45 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

So while working on the truck lastnight this exact same thing happens to me... turned the lock and snap, the key gets stuck 90*

Luckily I had the driver door lock from the donor on the shelf!

The pliers indicate where the ring broke - I will definitely be pulling the next driver door lock I find at the junkyard!!!

Old 06-15-2017, 07:49 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

On second thought, I may even take the old part to a local machine shop to have it replicated..

Old 09-19-2017, 09:55 PM
Winching
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Same exact thing happened to me in my 99' D1 the ring snapped. So I tried super gle and it held for about two days before breaking again. So I went to home depot and bought some aluminum stock. I traced the broken part out on paper then cut it out on the aluminum. Drilled a hole in the center, made a notch on the bottom and it worked.

Alternatively you can 3d print one someone was kind enough to public share these files so here they are.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1306202

The following 2 users liked this post by mr4x4:
FloridaRover (09-20-2017), partsguru (09-23-2017)
Old 09-23-2017, 12:10 PM
Mudding
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I've spent the last couple of months teaching myself CAD and designing the cam that fits inside this pawl, with the intent of having it printed w/ 3D printer. I finally got it done last week - then I see this!! Thank you mr4x4, I got one ordered this morning from a shop here in Utah and will be able to get my door panel put back together.
It was a good learning experience, though (the CAD program - 123 Design). I noticed several other Disco parts on thingiverse, the headlight pivots are next for me.

Old 09-23-2017, 02:39 PM
Winching
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by partsguru
I've spent the last couple of months teaching myself CAD and designing the cam that fits inside this pawl, with the intent of having it printed w/ 3D printer. I finally got it done last week - then I see this!! Thank you mr4x4, I got one ordered this morning from a shop here in Utah and will be able to get my door panel put back together.
It was a good learning experience, though (the CAD program - 123 Design). I noticed several other Disco parts on thingiverse, the headlight pivots are next for me.
Awesome! Tell me how the 3d printed door lock parts work , I cut out the circle piece in aluminum and it's been working so far so good but 3d printed parts wouldn't be bad either. 😎

Old 09-30-2017, 10:39 AM
Mudding

I got my cam from a local Utah printer in 3 days after ordering. $6.75! I smoothed the ID with a piece of Scotch-Brite and it fit together perfectly. I opted to have it printed in ABS after researching the options. I'll add some pics tonight for you - very pleased. Russ

Old 10-07-2017, 12:39 PM
Mudding

Sorry for delays - I've "mis-placed" the little link off of the actuator... I do miss having my shop!! Russ

Old 10-07-2017, 07:07 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I use Autodesk's Fusion 360 for 3D modeling- great CAM integration and very intuitive. That being said, I believe a 3D model already exists for the part: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1306202

Others have pointed out that 3D printed plastics can perhaps not hold up to heat well and may not work long term in the door. I made my replacement one-off from aluminum tube and plate, machined and TIG welded together:

In a pinch, and my first repair, to prevent the glued ring from splitting, you can epoxy some metal around the ring- i used welding rod- and i also replaced the plastic tab with aluminum. It held up fine for a month until I decided to make the alu one.

Old 10-21-2019, 05:35 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mr4x4
Same exact thing happened to me in my 99' D1 the ring snapped. So I tried super gle and it held for about two days before breaking again. So I went to home depot and bought some aluminum stock. I traced the broken part out on paper then cut it out on the aluminum. Drilled a hole in the center, made a notch on the bottom and it worked.

Alternatively you can 3d print one someone was kind enough to public share these files so here they are.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1306202
Hi there- I have same problem but the file you've linked to no longer exists. Do you still have 3 print file somewhere?

Much appreciated!

Old 10-22-2019, 01:40 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Same thing happened to me. Wish you could just buy the little black ring for a couple of bucks. I tried to fabricate my own but it just didn’t work out. Ended up buying a new one from AB for $250☹️ It works great but it just sucks spending that much money on something that should be cheap. Obviously plenty of people have had this problem.

Quick Reply: Drivers door handle fell apart - locked!