Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Electrical Issue: Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 05:07 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical Issue: Headlights

Hello,
Just bought my first Land Rover. First, it's safe to say it's a project vehicle but only due to it being cosmetically challenged and the issue which I am posting about now.

Vehicle: 1996 Discovery SE7, 162k miles, Auto.

Symptoms:
1) Headlights will not turn on when combination switch is a turned to activate headlights.
2) Headlights WILL turn on only when I pull the lever back and HOLD it back. The moment I release it, the headlights turn off.
3) Turn signals work fine. BUT...I notice that it doesn't matter which way I turn the indicator both L & R indicator lights blink simultaneously on the instrument cluster.
4) Marker lights will not turn on.
5) L & R brake lights do not work: Only the overhead brake light works.

Checked:
All fuses are fine.
Not seeing any wires that could be shorting out

I've read a lot of threads where people have identified that the combination switch (headlight/turn signal lever assembly) needed to be replaced, but all of their problems seem to only be headlight related. I'm wondering if I have a relay issue and which relay it could be?

Thanks for any help provided!

Old 07-13-2014, 06:03 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

1&2: You probably need a new turn signal stalk, they go bad.
3&4: Totally normal. There are no Amber "marker lights", only turn signals.
5: Pull the tail lights and check the bulbs and contacts.

Old 07-13-2014, 08:48 PM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

yup, check the plug at the headlights themselves. mine were all corroded and i had no highbeams and intermittent low beams. cut the wiring back a few inches and spliced in new plugs... all good.

Old 07-17-2014, 09:44 AM
4wd Low

Alright: Fixed #1. The Combination (dip) switch was bad. Replaced it and now I have headlights.

But......Taillights and dash lights are a whole other story. I only have taillights when I press the fog light switch on the dash. If I don't press it, all I get is headlights. No running lights at all. The rear has nothing that lights up until I press the fog light switch.

Also, I still don't have dash lights. Prior to changing out the combination switch, I had a blown sidelight fuse. Once I put in a new fuse, the tailight for that side turned on (but stayed on constantly unless I removed the fuse) and I had dash lights. But now that I replaced the combination switch and put the sidelight fuse back in, I have no dash lights. Crazy.

The brake light problem still persists. The only brake light I have is the overhead brake light. I did find that the passenger side brake light bulb insert (the white plastic piece the bulb twists into and then twists into the taillight assembly) had two broke tabs so it won't lock into place. I'm hoping that replacing it will resolve the issue.

Overall, I'm finding this Land Rover to be an electrical nightmare because nothing makes sense as to how it's wired up. Is there a relay or something that could be the issue????

Old 07-17-2014, 01:08 PM
TReK
Received 471 Likes on 388 Posts

Do you have the electrical manual? If not go here and download etlj960x.pdf

https://www.cubbyusercontent.com/pl/...0Discovery%20I

Then hope that the previous owner(s) did not 'customize' your vehicle.

Old 07-19-2014, 01:52 AM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

Did you actually change the stalk switch?

The symptoms you have sound like bad contacts. Remove the stalk switch, open it up and clean all the contacts until shiny and re assemble. I'm 99% sure that's your issue. I had 2 D1s with that exact problem.

Old 07-20-2014, 12:37 PM
4wd Low

Yep, the stalk (combination switch) was changed out for a brand spankin new unit.

But, I do have a follow up. The issue with the dash lights and the tail lights was a result of a faulty glove box light unit. Bought a replacement glove box light housing and it completely resolved the problem. Craziest dang thing ever. Love the mechanical build quality of this little SUV, but absolutely hate the way the Brits wired it.

As for the brake lights, I'm 3/4 of the way to resolving that problem as well. The passenger side brake bulb holder had two broke tabs (that lock it into place when you twist it in). Replaced it and voila! It works. The driver side is still puzzling me. The bulb holder is good and I've cleaned it out. The bulb looks good as the filaments are not blown. Thinking I may need to pull the tail light assembly out to get a good look at the contacts in it and make sure they're ok.

Old 06-07-2015, 02:43 PM
Mudding
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

i had that glove box light short out on me too and took out the gauge lights...

Old 06-08-2015, 06:56 AM
Three Wheeling

Did you check to see if you have power at the socket? I would start there with a meter and work back to find where you're losing power. And do a continuity test on your bulbs to be certain they're good.