Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery I (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/)
-   -   Engine swaps (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/engine-swaps-48891/)

Danny Lee 97 Disco 04-10-2012 05:16 PM

Engine swaps

We often see questions regarding possible engine swaps. One of the big issues is an apadter to mate the new engine to the driveline.

Since this is an older Buick engine , were there any similar buick powerplants that share the same interface as ours such that an adapter would not be an issue like it is with say a 350 crate motor?

adigerol77 04-10-2012 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco (Post 312189)
We often see questions regarding possible engine swaps. One of the big issues is an apadter to mate the new engine to the driveline.

Since this is an older Buick engine , were there any similar buick powerplants that share the same interface as ours such that an adapter would not be an issue like it is with say a 350 crate motor?

It would be interesting to see a 350 in but, is there enough room in the engine compartment to accommodate?

Danny Lee 97 Disco 04-10-2012 05:35 PM

I have seen one posted with the 350, it fits well. But the adapter required to mate it is made in Australia and cost a good bit plus shipping. Seems those Aussie's do quite a bit of high performance mods.

There are a lot of smaller engines that also would be interesting. A friend of mine I worked with in Florida drove a Saab Sonnet. It was a four cylinder Ford motor. He gave me a ride one day, I was amazed by how that beast moved.

An in-line six might also be an interesting choice. I remember my 280ZX was an in-line six, as was the 260. I think the 240 was an inline 4 wasn't it?

Chris-bob 04-10-2012 05:35 PM

Does a Buick 350 have the same flange pattern as the Buick 215...???

adigerol77 04-10-2012 05:38 PM

Yah believe the 240 was a 4cyl. I'm familiar with the AMC straight 6, nice torque but, wondering if it would be able to pull the disco around. But then again, all the power of the 350 you've got to be a little careful.

Why not take the V12 out of the Lambo and make it a mid-engine rover :)

Chris-bob 04-10-2012 05:41 PM

If land rover did not change the bell housing between the 215 and the 350, then you should be able to drop a Buick 350 under the hood. But bear in mind the Buick 350 is not the same as the typical SBC.

Danny Lee 97 Disco 04-10-2012 06:37 PM

I worked on a radar trainer that had a large detroit diesel that merely provided hydraulic power to the wheels. Each wheel had a hydraulic motor, there were six wheels, 2 front, 2 center and two rear. It was based on a Russian SA6. Exact copy to be correct. Original was obtained from Israel after Camp David accord. Captured from the Egyptians, made in Soviet Union. I wired the two trainers.

Not very high top end, but it could go almost anywhere, sand dunes, water crossings, no problems, it could even turn a circle in it's own length pivoting on the center tires asboth front and rear steered. Awesome vehicle.

Radar dishes and missile launcher mobile platform.

Danny Lee 97 Disco 04-10-2012 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Chris-bob (Post 312202)
If land rover did not change the bell housing between the 215 and the 350, then you should be able to drop a Buick 350 under the hood. But bear in mind the Buick 350 is not the same as the typical SBC.

Yeah, back then Buick was Buick and Chevy was Chevy, lots of differences between the two.

One of those Buick Gran National turbo sixes would be sweet if that would mate up easily.

Olds had some very good engines as well. A friend of mine had one of the little Cutlass convertibles when they were really small (62-64?). I had a 64 Lemans with an aluminum 326.

Spike555 04-10-2012 07:40 PM

Why not just keep the Rover V8, which is a VERY good engine, rebuild it, convert to a HEI distributor and drop on a 4bbl carb and intake?
That would still be cheaper and a hell of alot easier to do than any engine swap.
I have no idea why everyone hates the Rover V8 so much, in the rest of the world it is the 350 equivalent in modifications and build ability.

ValveCoverGasket 04-11-2012 11:45 AM

one of those later model GM v6s could be interesting. i tuned one of those that had been swapped into a classic MG convertible, and as i seem to remember it made quite a bit of power, and oughta be a far sight more efficient than the rover motor. with a good tune should be able to burn nice and lean on the freeway to save gas.... and those motors are cheap.