Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Fact or Myth: Heater on while overheating?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 08:55 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
If it is low on oil, temp is not your main concern either. If you are running it low on oil or continuing to drive it when you have a definite overheating condition that is unresolved, you are abusing it and will destoy it pretty soon anyway.

It is amazing what I see on here about people driving a vehicle way beyond the point of no return when there is a major malfunction. The longer you drive it like that, the more damage you cause.
Thanks for all the tips. First off Im not towing anything. Have several boxes of personal possessions in the back though, not to mention 2 new tires. (Im getting a small storage unit this week!). Secondly the oil no longer leaks enough to make a difference. (only small daps from the oil filter area, and even then only once in awhile). Ive been keeping taps on the fluid levels of both the oil and the coolant. My observation was that the radiator is holding the fluid but the expansion tank is consistently low (after going up step hills), and that the leak is coming from the drivers side, just have not identified the exact spot yet. I have a full jug of cool water (NOT COLD WATER because it will crack your engine) for emergencies. Ive contacted RoversNorth and they think its the radiator so in afew weeks im going to replace it.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:09 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

DO not just go and buy a new radiator, especially not from Rovers North.
Have a radiator shop check yours out, you are looking at $1000 for a radiator from RN.
About $250 to have yours rebuilt.