Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Engine rebuild/refresh 3.9 motor

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 07:01 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine rebuild/refresh 3.9 motor

I had an epic engine failure that ate/crushed 4 plugs. So out it came and I'm working on rebuild. This is my first crack at such an adventurous overhaul, and my pockets aren't deep. I didn't want to go crazy, but "while i'm in there" has taken over... and i'm not looking to build a race engine, just a mild freshen of a 3rd vehicle/trail ready truck. Engine has 190k on it (auto Trans). Running fine down the highway at 65/70 mph, all of a sudden power loss coupled with major stumbling and wouldn't go faster then 25-30 in second or third (down shifted to get off the road to a safe spot). Tow truck en route. The motor ran, albeit very poorly, but enough to get to it's final resting spot for disassembly, after the tow dropped off. I did not do a compression test (unfortunately) after pulling the plugs and finding the damaged ones... just figured it need a rebuild as there is some debris floating now. One of my exhaust valves was fractured away as well, but nothing else obvious on the top end. So here is where I'm at.

Heads are off, rockers being cleaned and checked for excessive play, none found... is it worth replacing them now, as it's not hateful to get at after if need be? I have a second set of heads that the machine shop has redone already, to go on.

Lifters are ok, slight wear on some, but found a good deal on Crower 66050's... so they are going in new.

Pushrods have slight wear on 2 where they must have been rubbing on head pass through (?), replacing with Melling MPR-11-B from summit at $2 a pop, not too bad for more piece of mind.

Cam is being upgrade to Crower 50299, as old one had some lobe wear, expected at this mileage.

Cam Bearings... 4th one back has some cracking developing. So i've got a set ordered to replace. Here is another ?... the 3.9 and the 4.0 have different part numbers, and pricing. I went with a finished set for a Buick 215 at about 1/3 the price of the rover ones... good move??

Chain set looked ok, but while i'm in there, I have a Cloyes double roller coming.

Now onto the parts in question.

Crank and ConRods... and subsequently rings...

The cross hatching in the cylinders looks AMAZING for the age and such, previous owner had detailed records (a hole book actually) and nothing about a rebuild.

Am I able to reuse the conrod bolts? I want to check the journals and bearings, while i'm there.

And along the crank line... main bearings... what's up with the 3.9 bearings being ridiculously overpriced?!? and again a different part number! any tips/tricks other compatible parts here? STC3724 is what i've come up with. and RTC2117 for the rod bearings. But I haven't pulled to check clearances yet (is it worth to plastigauge it?)...

I am getting itchy to get this thing back together... and know i'm missing something (or at least i have that feeling)...

Any advice or confirmation out there?