Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery I (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/)
-   -   Gas/Fuel Tank Leak (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/gas-fuel-tank-leak-41837/)

Travelor 06-26-2011 11:44 AM

Gas/Fuel Tank Leak

Hello Again,
My Disco as mentioned in my sig - 1994/1995 V8i - US Sold - California driven -

As seen in a Failed California Smog Test Thread I have been troubleshooting an failed fuel evap smog test.

It would seem that there is definitely a leak in my fuel system - at the tank level -

This morning I went and filled her up. I let the gas pump go until the standard pressure stop - Then squeezed the pump a little more.. I looked down and gas was pouring out from under..

I took a closer look and the gas wasn't coming out of the larger filler tube.
The gas is coming from the top of the tank and pooring down the filler tub side

I drove her home the 0.5 miles and opened up the Fuel Pump access point. No visible signs of leak at that fuel pump area - and the leaking has stopped - I know at this point the tank doesn't seem to be leaking from the tank half seal.

I do not know if the tank is cracked on the top.
I do know that there is a smaller hose .75 to 1.0 inches in diameter that is connected to the filler tube and runs to the top of the tank but disappears between the body and the tank. Maybe this is the leak point?

I cannot see the connection point for this hose. Is it at the top of the tank somewhere?

I've been trying to read through the RAVE that I downloaded. It is not a well designed document (in my opinion) and I am having trouble using the adobe reader search function to locate instructions for tank removal and/or a tank expanded view.

The help I need at this point - If the guru in you is willing - PLEASE PLEASE.
1. Directions links and or pages in the RAVE that would help me to get an idea on how to remove/replace the tank, if needed
2. Directions links and or pages in the rave that would help me get to the connection points for, what seems to be some kind of over flow tube.

I did search the forums with no luck, on finding a way to get to the top of the tank. It would seem that if I do this job myself than I will do my best to document the procedures and get pics.

Again, any help and information would be much appreciated!!

In Peace and Agape,
Trav...

Dodger 06-26-2011 12:16 PM

Mine did the same thing, it was the vent hose which is off to the right of the fuel pump access cover. I ended up drilling a hole in the cargo floor to change the hose, then made a metal access cover for the new hole. I used a rotabroach cutter to avoid drilling into the tank by accident. It is held onto the tank by a screw clamp, I greased the end of the new hose to make it easier to get on. Good Luck!

Danny Lee 97 Disco 06-26-2011 12:30 PM

The only access provided is the black panel under the carpet and mat in the rear cargo area. This allows you to see the top of the tank, electrical and fuel line connections.

If you do a search on the fuel pump you find extensive pics of the first things I did to my early 97 DI, it is the same as the 96, in that the fuel system is the Pre-AEL. There is only the following fuel lines there:
1. The supply line from the top of the fuel pump output to the fuel filter then on into the fuel rail.
2. The return line which is uninterrupted to the top return line on the plate on top of the fuel pump.

My picture album shows quite a bit of other things I tore into Primarily the CDL Shifter.

There is also a series of pictures of the top plate on my fuel pump that had a nasty crack right at the junction for the return line. I made several futile attempts to clean and seal this leak but could not find a sealant that would successfully work in today's retail market.

I have used military grade jet fuel cell sealant to successfully seal a much larger gas leak in my 67 Chevy Sport Nan 90 while stationed in key West in 1974. I m,erely bonded a large Greek Coin over the hole that some asshole punched in my tank to drain it while I was on board the USS Nimitz up inside the Artic Circle, or down in GITMO BAY on Sea Trials for the NumbNutz as we called her.

Since I no longer had access to free Jet Fuel Cell sealant, I had to replace the entire fuel pump assembly to take care of the cracked top.

I got the Pro-Line from Rovers North for $105 bucks, the best deal I ever got on a great Discovery plug and play direct replacement part.

ALL MY LATER PICTURES WERE LOST WHEN MY LAST HARD DRIVE CRASHED, SORRY.

The other link will play a Jimmy Buffet Classic, Have you Always been An Asshole?

Have fun with the Potential FireBomb while you drive it. I would try to take care of that really soon.

Travelor 06-26-2011 01:13 PM

Hi All,

I was "finally" able to locate the section of the RAVE that discusses the instructions for Fuel Tank Removal - I am not sure if I will begin this job today or next weekend - I will be documenting my work so that others can use it, if they too are confronted with a similar situation.

NOTE: Thanks for Danny Lee's reminder of the possible "BOMB"ness of a fuel leak such as this. I am keenly aware of the combustable nature of gas - As such I am not, nor do I recommend driving a vehicle with a known fuel leak -

Below is from RAVE - WMLJ970e.PDF - Section

Service repair no - 19.55.01
Depressurise fuel system. Disconnect battery

negative lead
Syphon fuel tank into a suitable container that
can be sealed afterwards.

ENSURE TANK IS DRAINED COMPLETELY.
(refer to Warning concerning fuel vapour and
spillage at start of procedure).
Remove carpet loadspace floor and tailgate.

Fold back sound insulation to reveal access
panel.

Remove access panel.

Disconnect electrical multi-plug.

Disconnect two fuel line unions from fuel pump.

Working underneath vehicle mark location of
anti-roll [sway] bar straps.

Remove rear anti-roll [sway] bar straps, and
allow bar to swing down clear of tank.

Remove tank filler and vent hoses at fuel tank.

Remove nut and bolt securing right hand side
fuel tank strap.

Disconnect evaporative control pipe at green
end of ’speedfit’ connector.

NOTE: To disconnect ’speedfit’ connector,
insert forked end of LRT-19-002 into slots
of connector see illustration. Press down
on collet and simultaneously pull pipe from
connector.
MFI
REPAIR

Remove back two bolts and nut plates securing
fuel tank cradle.

Remove front nuts, bolts and washers. Remove
fuel tank cradle.

With assistance, tilt right hand side of tank
upwards and manoeuvre tank through chassis to
remove.

Refit
Reverse removal procedure. Ensuring sealing
ring, fuel pipe and hose connections are secure.

17. Run engine, check all connections for fuel leaks.

ngarover 06-26-2011 01:16 PM

Sigh...

This is an extremely common issue. I'm betting in the 100% range. And why all the back yard engineering to fix it?

Look... Get the tank on empty or close. And drop it. It's a plastic tank and very easy to remove. I've done it a couple times now and was able to do it myself using a floor jack as secondary support with no issues.

Just make sure you disconnect the lines at the top of the tank, the ones you see from the access panel LR provided for you. Screw putting the anti sway bar back on after your done... you don't need it.

Take some of the bad hose with you get some new clamps and match up the hose to something the auto parts store has (try going to a diesel shop as they seem to have a bigger selection) all in all, your looking at about 10-12 bucks in clamps and hoses and an hour at best to replace them, and by them I'm talking the vent hose, and the bigger fill line.

Travelor 06-26-2011 01:59 PM

NGARover,

I definitely agree with you regarding the "backyard" engineering - I am of the mindset that if I have to do something with my vehicle, I am going to do it the right way - Especially since my daughter - a relatively new driver will be the primary user of the Disco - Want to make sure she and her rig don't end up stranded and God forbid, melted, on the side of the road. I've already spent 15/30 minutes laying under the gas tank contemplating the procedures -
I definitely appreciate the suggestion regarding the possible purchase location for the replacement lines/tubes.

Thanks again for all the input, keep it coming guys!!!

In Peace and Agape,
Trav...

tweakrover 06-26-2011 02:36 PM

you need to call a land rover dealer with your vin and see if the fuel tank recall has been performed on your truck. if it hasent they will replace the tank for free.

Danny Lee 97 Disco 06-26-2011 04:39 PM

Spike,

San you get rid of ROOBIN HOLMES, he's spammed every posting I have seen this evening.

Travelor 06-26-2011 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by tweakrover (Post 254112)
you need to call a land rover dealer with your vin and see if the fuel tank recall has been performed on your truck. if it hasent they will replace the tank for free.

Hi Tweakrover,

Out of curiosity - Would it matter that I am not the original owner? I was under the impression that recalls - especially years after the fact, might have ownership restrictions?

Thanks for your advice,
Trav...

Travelor 06-26-2011 05:38 PM

Gas Tank Replacement -
Based on this copy of a recall letter to a Disco Owner - The recall seems to apply to the following VINs
VIN Range for RRC: SALHC1343PA637654 to SALHV1246SA662245
VIN Range for D1: SALJY1249RA072463 to SALJY1248VA546039
and: SALJY124XVA700993 to SALJY1242VA714242.

Based on the above my Disco, does not apply to the recall -
Should I still contact the local dealer to see if my Disco truely does not apply?

Thanks,
In Peace and Agape,
Trav...