Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Good bye for a few months guys!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 10:25 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Good bye for a few months guys!

Well guys I did it. I joined the US Marine Corps, I signed an 8 year contract and this past weekend I was in Montgomery, AL and did my Initial Strength Test (see if you're physically ready for boot camp) and my Ship Validation (Back ground check, scare the fool out of you with fines and jail time for lying, and also a paper test on the basic Marine Corps values and ranks etc). I passed!! Minimum was 3 pull ups, I did 15, 50 sit ups in 2 minutes, I did 215, and a mile and a half in 14 minutes, I did it in 10 mins 40 secs. I leave may 21st! After I graduate high school on the 18th though Reserves for the next 4 years so I can finish off school and get my degree to become an Officer through the Platoon Leadership Course then Active Duty! I will be an Amphibious Assault Crewman. I will be driving and repairing those big tanks that drive from the navy ships to the beach front.

Don't worry, Claire is staying till I get back. Then I'm off to college!

3 Months of Parris Island
1 Month of Camp Lejeune
2 Months of Camp Pendleton (hello beach!)

Last edited by calebbo; 04-18-2012 at 10:32 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:31 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulations and good luck! I remember my days before I headed off to boot. My buddy and I enlisted together and sitting on the plane to basic we were chatted up by a nice old guy who was telling us how proud he was of us and the great times we had ahead of us and then just as we taxi'd into the gate he turns and with an evil grin says "ha ha ha your Uncle Sam's Bitch now!"

Keep your head down, your mouth shut and your powder dry

Old 04-18-2012, 10:36 PM
Three Wheeling

As a former US Marine I just was to say congrats and welcome to the begining of the rest of your life. You may want to be more specific about how you tell people you signed an 8 yr contract. Im guessing you signed for 4yrs of Active Service and 4 the 4 yrs of mandatory inactive reserve? Semper Fi Recruit. The one piece of advice i can give you is to get use to referring to your self in the 3rd person. In Boot camp there are no "me's, I's, or Mine's. Its "this recruit" or "recruit schmuckatelly" Have fun!

Old 04-18-2012, 10:37 PM
Pro Wrench

That's the plan, shut my mouth, don't draw negative attention towards myself, and just do whatever needs to be done to get through. Thanks for the pep talk haha, Uncle Same just took my tax money too! (He's giving it all back because I'm a student though )

Old 04-18-2012, 11:06 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by AK_Disco_Driver
As a former US Marine I just was to say congrats and welcome to the begining of the rest of your life. You may want to be more specific about how you tell people you signed an 8 yr contract. Im guessing you signed for 4yrs of Active Service and 4 the 4 yrs of mandatory inactive reserve? Semper Fi Recruit. The one piece of advice i can give you is to get use to referring to your self in the 3rd person. In Boot camp there are no "me's, I's, or Mine's. Its "this recruit" or "recruit schmuckatelly" Have fun!
Yes sir, that's it! 4 Years Active Drilling Reserve and 4 Years Inactive Reserve. But that changes once I finish college. I am shooting for an Air Contract so I can fly, they then give me a new contract plus my prior obligation. And I've had some experience with the DI's two years of ROTC while in high school before I moved and some recent experience this past weekend. My voice went hoarse from all the "Aye Sir/Mam, Yes Sir/Mam, No Sir/Mam." He told us when we were about to leave we are lower than dirt at boot and those are the only three things he wants to hear from us. Oh and he also showed us how to request permission to speak, especially to a Senior Drill Instructor. "Sir good morning/afternoon sir! Sir Recruit Bo requesting permission to speak to the senior drill instructor sir!"

How long were you in for? And what was your MOS?

Old 04-19-2012, 01:21 AM
Three Wheeling

I did 5 yrs active duty. I was a 6048 or aviation life support systems tech assigned to 3rd maw HMH-465. Ch-53 life support mech, had a ton of fun got to play in the sand a couple times and got paid to do soo. Sorry ur going to paris island in the summer. Enjoy that heat and the sand fleas!

Old 04-19-2012, 05:42 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Camp Lejeune i have been there a number of times. Plenty of pig roasts, strip clubs and of course a wal-mart.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:04 AM
Mudding

Good to have someone else willing to enlist. I may not agree with all of our wars, but I do know to shut up and appreciate the men and women out there risking their lives in the hopes that they can improve our country and the world. Much appreciation to you and everyone else who served for us man. Maybe your Disco will stop leaking out of reverence when you come back

Old 04-19-2012, 06:56 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by AK_Disco_Driver
I did 5 yrs active duty. I was a 6048 or aviation life support systems tech assigned to 3rd maw HMH-465. Ch-53 life support mech, had a ton of fun got to play in the sand a couple times and got paid to do soo. Sorry ur going to paris island in the summer. Enjoy that heat and the sand fleas!
Wow, that's pretty cool. I was going to go in as an aviation mechanic. The Reserves you get to choose your MOS but based off of what is available to you in your recruiters area. I can eventually move around but with only 4 years what's the point? I chose AAV Crewman because it seemed to be cool and fun, that's what I'm looking for in the next 4 years before I shoot for an Air Contract with PLC to become a pilot once I graduate. And why did you get out? If you don't mind me asking.

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
Camp Lejeune i have been there a number of times. Plenty of pig roasts, strip clubs and of course a wal-mart.
Sorry you lost me at strip clubs haha

Originally Posted by Hyakku
Good to have someone else willing to enlist. I may not agree with all of our wars, but I do know to shut up and appreciate the men and women out there risking their lives in the hopes that they can improve our country and the world. Much appreciation to you and everyone else who served for us man. Maybe your Disco will stop leaking out of reverence when you come back
Thanks, but I'm not there yet. I have to finish Boot Camp first before I can call myself a Marine haha and the only reason Claire would stop leaking is because while I'm gone she would be constantly leaking until she couldn't leak anymore hahaha!

Last edited by calebbo; 04-19-2012 at 09:59 AM.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:02 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats!!! I spent 14 years in the Army as a helicopter pilot, the did an interservice transfer to the navy as a Trauma flight nurse... I have been active duty for 25 years.... I have had the honor of working with some of the best people in the world! Be safe and best of luck!

Quick Reply: Good bye for a few months guys!