Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Good Deal? Yay or Nay?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 06:29 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good Deal? Yay or Nay?

So I think I found what is in my mind a good deal. It's a 97 Disco I ... new paint, tires, LR brushguard, all stock. The only issue is it has a blown Exhaust Manifold Gasket. The dude is letting it go for only $1k ... which is insane out here in Vegas.

How hard/expensive is it to fix a Exhaust Manifold Gasket?

Old 01-21-2011, 07:43 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Very, very simple if it is just the Exhaust mainfold gaskets. If it is the Intake Gasket it is much more involved but still doable if engine has not been damaged by overheating.

Look at the Rover's North website. They have excellent illustrated breakdowns that detail all the various bits and pieces. Be aware that you may break manifold bolts when extracting if not careful. Especially the ones at the y-pipe flange. I would plan on getting all new studs and replace both the gasket between the block and the exhaust manifold as well as the gasket between the exhaust manifold and the y-pipe flange. The one at the y-pipe was burned in half on my 97 with 110k on the clock.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:14 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

All exhaust manifolds on these trucks crack, so buy it thinking its a gasket and hope its a crack.
The crack can be welded shut if you can find it.
Also keep in mind that the exhaust manifold nuts work loose and if you tighten them back up all will be well once again.
Same thing with the valve covers, they leak because the bolts work loose.

Old 01-22-2011, 12:26 AM
Overlanding

That's reassuring news. From what I understand, it runs like a British sewing machine other than the exhaust manifold thing.

Old 01-22-2011, 05:33 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

just quadruple check when you put the exhaust gaskets on you put them on facing the correct way. if you switch and flip them they will look correct but fail.

Old 01-22-2011, 11:08 AM
Overlanding

To be honest, I was going to dump the money and change out ALL the gaskets at a certified LR guru for right now. Just to make sure I get off to a good start with my new beastie. Then I'll evaluate what I want/need for my off roading stuff.

Old 01-23-2011, 12:22 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SOFpirate
To be honest, I was going to dump the money and change out ALL the gaskets at a certified LR guru for right now. Just to make sure I get off to a good start with my new beastie. Then I'll evaluate what I want/need for my off roading stuff.

Could be pricey paying aLR Guru to do that. How much did he quote?

Does that include free meditation or some guru type stuff?

Old 01-23-2011, 12:16 PM
Overlanding

Yeah, I know it could be pricey. But before I start to work on it and use my bubblegum and paper clips technique, I'd like to have it fresh from a GOOD start, plus I talked it over with the wife ... and she approved it (she also wants one, too). Land Rover of Las Vegas (also the ONLY LR place in Nevada) quoted me pretty good at just under $1k to replace the HG, EG (in and out), and a fluids change plus check over. They also host the Land Rover Club of Las Vegas, and typically give them good pricing.

As for the meditation ... that's free. I was told I "must be one with the differential" ... whatever that means.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:25 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

the land rover dealer is going to do your head gaskets for $1,000?

Old 01-24-2011, 02:27 PM
Overlanding

I know ... it's unbelievable! That's why I'm just going to get it done before they change their minds. Considering I just spent $266 to get a $28 door switch installed in an F-150.

Quick Reply: Good Deal? Yay or Nay?