Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Good Deal? Yay or Nay?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 03:24 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

never heard anything like that.... even indie mechs charge more than that. im skeptical

Old 01-24-2011, 05:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They just want to get you in the door so they can hit you up for the 15 other leaks you are not aware of yet!

I know because I am a Audi tech working at a Audi dealer.

Old 01-24-2011, 05:50 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah A grand for a few gaskets, then they will give you a list of all the other stuff it needs. I know of a friend of mine here in Pittsburgh that just bought a DII for $5500 from a young couple that just paid the dealership over $6000 to do their 90K Service.

They will be deep in your pockets over a Disco you bought for a Grand to start with.

You should download the RAVE. Start off by doing a total fluid change and total tune up which would only be a new set of plugs and some hevy duty spark plug wires and a new fuel filter and air filter.

What makes you think it needs Head Gaskets? If it does really need head gaskets, how do you know the engine has not overheated and turned into a worthless hunk of aluminum?

Check it out good before you throw your money down on it without knowing a lot more about it's true condition. Just a few words of caution to save you a lot of misery.

If it is still in pretty fair shape a grand may be a great price for it originally, but if you cannot reasonably maintain it yourself you will wind up spending much much more than a grand just to get you going good.

If you can read, interpret pictures, and use relatively simple tools like large wrenches you can change all the exhaust manifolds pretty damn cheap. The head gasket is much more involved.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:34 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
Yeah A grand for a few gaskets, then they will give you a list of all the other stuff it needs. I know of a friend of mine here in Pittsburgh that just bought a DII for $5500 from a young couple that just paid the dealership over $6000 to do their 90K Service.

They will be deep in your pockets over a Disco you bought for a Grand to start with.

You should download the RAVE. Start off by doing a total fluid change and total tune up which would only be a new set of plugs and some hevy duty spark plug wires and a new fuel filter and air filter.

What makes you think it needs Head Gaskets? If it does really need head gaskets, how do you know the engine has not overheated and turned into a worthless hunk of aluminum?

Check it out good before you throw your money down on it without knowing a lot more about it's true condition. Just a few words of caution to save you a lot of misery.

If it is still in pretty fair shape a grand may be a great price for it originally, but if you cannot reasonably maintain it yourself you will wind up spending much much more than a grand just to get you going good.

If you can read, interpret pictures, and use relatively simple tools like large wrenches you can change all the exhaust manifolds pretty damn cheap. The head gasket is much more involved.

Ha! Yeah. At the same time, too ... I'm not setting my heart on this one. I found another one, with matching reciepts from a full 90k service under a year ago for ONLY $2600. This one's already got EVERYTHING done to it. OME 2" suspension, FULL safari rack complete with lights, I mean EVERYTHING. I'm mainly geeking out about the price with the full services done on it. Their main thing is that they're in California and can't afford the gas for it, with their commie prices and everything, so they're trying to just find a home for it. I just gotta hope they decide to sell it to me.

I pride myself on being (somewhat) competent with tools. I've done a few engine rebuilds, but they were on the venerable small block 350 ... quite possibly one of the easiest engines to work on.

Old 01-25-2011, 03:12 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Def go for the $2600 one. It will cost you over that to get the other one running properly.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:28 AM
Overlanding

Damn! They sold it!

So it's back on the hunt/$1k one. It's cool. But I'm definitely going to make sure I'm not getting screwed on buying one that's a hunk of junk.

I really appreciate all you guys' help on all of this. I can only hope, with your inputs, that I find a decent one, and one day we can all go wheeling!