Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery I (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/)
-   -   Headliner Coming Out Tomorrow, A Good Time To.....? (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/headliner-coming-out-tomorrow-good-time-34397/)

hilltoppersx 09-28-2010 06:26 AM

looks awesome. did you prep the surface with chalk beofre you re-installed it?

LeakyDisco 09-28-2010 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx (Post 201087)
looks awesome. did you prep the surface with chalk beofre you re-installed it?

Nope. Does that help with durability or something else?

hilltoppersx 09-28-2010 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by LeakyDisco (Post 201107)
Nope. Does that help with durability or something else?

it allows you to write and erase on it with chalk. read the directions. mine said to prep the whole surface by rubbing chalk on it then erasing it off.

LeakyDisco 09-28-2010 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx (Post 201118)
it allows you to write and erase on it with chalk. read the directions. mine said to prep the whole surface by rubbing chalk on it then erasing it off.

Ahh...right. Well, I have no plans to allow writing on my headliner, so I didn't bother.

My 5-year-old daughters may have their own opinions about that though. I need to ban chalk from the truck or I might find pictures of flowers, cats, birds, etc. staring down at me. ;)

hilltoppersx 09-28-2010 12:46 PM

my friends draw lots of what i call "rocket ships with two engines"

LeakyDisco 09-28-2010 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx (Post 201149)
my friends draw lots of what i call "rocket ships with two engines"

Uh...LOL. I'll assume I know what you are referring to, and liken it to a friend of mine (no, not me) who had a habit of drawing similar objects, though his were also adorned with bat wings.

Of course this was back when I was a young guy like you. :)

LeakyDisco 09-28-2010 11:58 PM

Lessons Learned During Headliner Fix

I thought I would share some lessons I learned while pulling and painting my headliner. These would also apply for anyone endeavoring to recover theirs.

1. Be patient and expect that at least one or more interior pieces will not cooperate with your attempts to remove and/or replace them (i.e. don't force those panel studs to go in or you might, um...break a couple). Consume a beer/wine/booze drink if that helps increase your patience (it did for me).

2. Have a helper assist you with the removal and replacement of the board (covered or not). Doing it by yourself can be, er, frustrating.

3. When removing the fasteners for the nets and rear lamp, take your time and DO NOT force them. The plastic pegs break easily. :(

4. Pop out the rear lamp assembly BEFORE dropping the headliner board and (more importantly) plug it back in AFTER putting it back into place. Otherwise (like me) you might be buying a new assembly because you tried (like an idiot) to stretch the connector on the assembly too far to reconnect with the wiring harness and ended up breaking the switch. D'oh!

5. Sit in your Rover and enjoy the fruits of your labor until the wee hours of the night or until your significant other sticks their head in the garage and asks what the hell you are doing.

Chris-bob 11-23-2010 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by LeakyDisco (Post 201259)
5. Sit in your Rover and enjoy the fruits of your labor until the wee hours of the night or until your significant other sticks their head in the garage and asks what the hell you are doing.

I get this alot...

ColoDisco 11-23-2010 02:26 PM

I need to do this soon. No plans to paint. More interested in replacing the headliner fabric. Kinda like the union jack material.