Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

headliner completely taken out?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 08:26 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 401 Likes on 385 Posts

Go for it, I don't miss my interior. Nothing but door panels and the dash plastic remain and that will be removed too.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:05 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spike555
I agree, hotter in the summer, colder in the winter, I had mine replaced by my insurance company.
I personally would replace it, its not that expensive to DIY, a couple hundred to have it done by a upholstery shop.

this ^

ive had cars without headliners and its a pain if you want to use them in inclement weather, especially if they sit outside.

think window condensation, but on your roof. that then freezes. then thaws out when you get in and turn the heat on.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:10 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 401 Likes on 385 Posts

What? I've had no problem with weather, 10 below to 102, rain, snow, blazing sun, fog?! Oh well. I have no compliants.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:06 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

My interior is completely removed except the front seats and dash. It's much louder now, but the paint is very nice like you mentioned and it has zero rust. The plan is to spray Lizard Skin sound deadening and ceramic insulation and make custom aluminum panels for the doors.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:16 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ihscouts
What? I've had no problem with weather, 10 below to 102, rain, snow, blazing sun, fog?! Oh well. I have no compliants.

dont know what to tell you, ive never had good luck with headliner-less cars that sit outside in the winter.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:38 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A headliner will not generate any heat, how can it?

It does not help much in cooling it either. It's insulation value (R factor wise) is very minimal. Mine is white and the white reflects the majority of the sun generated heat anyway, if it were black, it would tend to be hotter due to absorption.

Mine has been out for about 6 years now.

If you wanted to make an improvement you could always remove and add a high quality insualtion/sound deadening material.

I also removed the insualtion blanket from under the hood, it was extremely nasty.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:24 PM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket
this ^

ive had cars without headliners and its a pain if you want to use them in inclement weather, especially if they sit outside.

think window condensation, but on your roof. that then freezes. then thaws out when you get in and turn the heat on.
Might be totally silly, but what if you covered the top of the headliner with tin foil or one of those shiny survival blankets... Wouldn't that help reflect unwanted heat? Not to mention keep aliens from reading your thoughts while driving....

Old 04-09-2012, 02:29 PM
Pro Wrench

I doubt tin foil would work well. Just spray it and everything else with this or something like it: LizardSkin® Spray-On Insulation : Lizardskin

Of course there's also sheets of heat reflective/sound deadening material available.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:03 PM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by EricTyrrell
I doubt tin foil would work well. Just spray it and everything else with this or something like it: LizardSkin® Spray-On Insulation : Lizardskin

Of course there's also sheets of heat reflective/sound deadening material available.
I'm talking foil between the headliner and the roof.... You could simply spry glue a layer of it right to the metal roof...

Old 04-09-2012, 03:30 PM
Pro Wrench

It would be an interesting experiment and I haven't heard of anyone trying it. I'm just suggesting there are products which are known to work.

Quick Reply: headliner completely taken out?