Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery I (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/)
-   -   Heavier Truck needs more power....? (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/heavier-truck-needs-more-power-49713/)

wheelgarage 05-14-2012 12:58 PM

Heavier Truck needs more power....?

Yesterday, for mothers day, we packed up the Disco and the kids, then headed to the off road park.......then to the mall for some shopping.

On the surface streets, driving along does seem to be a little more effort than before. I attribute that to the heavier bumper and bigger tires. From the size of the tires, I know the ratios changed. It seems I need to go to a lower to get more ummphhh...

At the park, going though the trails, I didn't notice any power issues. The Disco powered along just fine. Went up and did the climb....easy....

About an hour of that, we took off and headed to the mall. I took the freeway, but had to go up the "pass". The pass is a uphill part of the freeway, which is a steep grade, about 5 miles long. To add, it was REALLY windy. The Disco struggled in 5th gear going up, throttle pinned,and started to go no where. I had to shift down to 4th, rev'g at and over 3k to keep up with traffic.

I guess, I need to consider re-gearing or find power adders. I wish there was a "power tuner" for the Disco....Like a Diablo or Superchip unit...(I've used them both, and the work well). I guess I am in the quest to pump a few ponies into the engine. If and when the head gasket needs to be replaced, I guess I can massage the head a bit, but still would need to make sure the A/F ratios remain...normal.

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: Maybe I am over thinking this....

Jake1996D1 05-14-2012 01:05 PM

It's the bigger tires for sure - here's the solution

Lucky8 Llc. - Take the road less traveled...

shaggy52282 05-14-2012 01:10 PM

I have always had to maintain 3k or above in trucks (S10 Zr2, Xterra and now Disco1) to keep up with traffic going up the passes in Colorado (not sure how they compare to your area). I always figured that was normal.

Is there concern with this engine and maintaining 3k-3.5k RPMs for 5-10 minutes at a time? It never caused issues with previous engines/trucks.

wheelgarage 05-14-2012 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Jake1996D1 (Post 319661)
It's the bigger tires for sure - here's the solution

Lucky8 Llc. - Take the road less traveled...

Okay...so literally, I jumped from a 29" to a 32" tire. To do the calculation right, what is the stock gear ratio?

wheelgarage 05-14-2012 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by shaggy52282 (Post 319663)
Is there concern with this engine and maintaining 3k-3.5k RPMs for 5-10 minutes at a time? It never caused issues with previous engines/trucks.

No, just trying to understand why I can no longer hold 5th gear going up the freeway. With the smaller tires, I never had an issue....it just zoomed right up...in 5th gear.

Okay....looks like 4.11 is ideal. Looks like Ashcroft has the 4.12 gears, which I will most likely get. Any other options on gear providers?

ValveCoverGasket 05-14-2012 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by shaggy52282 (Post 319663)
I have always had to maintain 3k or above in trucks (S10 Zr2, Xterra and now Disco1) to keep up with traffic going up the passes in Colorado (not sure how they compare to your area). I always figured that was normal.

i think you needed to anyway because of how much higher up you are.

id imagine his issues are from the new tires...

Jake1996D1 05-14-2012 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by wheelgarage (Post 319667)
No, just trying to understand why I can no longer hold 5th gear going up the freeway. With the smaller tires, I never had an issue....it just zoomed right up...in 5th gear.

Okay....looks like 4.11 is ideal. Looks like Ashcroft has the 4.12 gears, which I will most likely get. Any other options on gear providers?

Ashcroft or Kam. Justin has both brands. 4.11-4.12 will be more than you need but you will be happy with it. I'm going to run 4.70 I the truggy and run 4.11s in white truck

Jake1996D1 05-14-2012 03:30 PM

And you have 5 gears?! Zf transmission only have 4

calebbo 05-14-2012 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Jake1996D1 (Post 319684)
And you have 5 gears?! Zf transmission only have 4

He has a 5-speed transmission I believe.

wheelgarage 05-14-2012 03:51 PM

Yup 5-speed....R380.

For now, I will kick into 4th for the time being. Hopefully it wont go "BOOM!".