Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery I (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/)
-   -   help me choose a muffler (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/help-me-choose-muffler-88896/)

WaltNYC 04-02-2018 09:37 AM

help me choose a muffler

I know a little about some things but know absolutely nothing about exhaust systems/mufflers/resonators.

First, what do we call the two items after the Y-pipe on the Discos? Is one a resonator and another a muffler? What is the difference in function?

We have 2.5" pipes, correct?

Two, the rear apparatus, whatever you might call it, is toast on mine. Rotted through. Not bad for 20 years.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/landrov...da89d09c09.jpg

I plan on cutting off the rear muffler (?) and clamping on a new one and possibly re-using the old down turn tip.

I don't think it does all that much, but I don't like how it sounds now with a big hole in it so I want something that quiets the drone.

This truck is a kid mobile. No off-road to speak of.

So I don't think I need to spend a ton of money, but want something that will get the job done and last 5-10 years (I'm an optimist!)

Two I have my eye on are....
Thrush 17659

and Jegs 30222

Load me up with the info I need. I want cheap-ish, easy, and effective. If I must take it to a muffler shop for some minor welding, so be it, but I'd rather avoid that.

Sixpack577 04-02-2018 10:31 AM

For the cheapest and quietest solution, a new muffler from Lucky8 is $100.
For the muffler, pipe, resonator and tail pipe, it's $218.
Lucky8 usually knocks a few dollars off for forum members too.
You can bolt this on in your driveway in a few minutes time. Worst case, cutting some old clamp bolts on the exhisting exhaust. A reciprocating saw/sawzall will cut the old pipe out quickly too, if need be.
Otherwise, unbolt the old, jack up the rear for clearance over the axle to get the old out, and the new in, and it's done.
Definately cheaper and faster than any shop.
The resonator(small muffler in front of exhaust tip) makes little difference in sound.
I need a muffler on mine too, and will likely just buy the whole thing, so not to have to fool with corroded bolts/studs where the pipe goes into the back of the muffler.
Easy fix for about $200.
For someone looking for a quiet muffler, there really isn't a better way(unless you owned a welder and pipe bender).

WaltNYC 04-02-2018 10:50 AM

the muffler 'mid truck' appears to be fine (primarily because it has a weep hole). I'm just interested in the rear resonator at this point.

Not doing both could be a waste of time, but for <$60 I'll take a chance that all I need is the rear unit.

whiskeynipple0088 04-02-2018 12:30 PM

my silencer (middle muffler) looked perfect until the connection (just after the wye) rusted out completely and it dropped down and rattled like hell. So I would def get a light and check where the pipe connects to the silencer if your rear looks like that.
I wound up using generic clamps and bends to delete the silencer from the system (yes it sounds much meaner that way too)

Its the 'offsets' from in to out you have to watchout for when looking for a muffler.
I did replace my rear muffler and pipe from the silencer back with a aftermarket for like $90 shipped. Still have the deleted silencer.

Sixpack577 04-02-2018 01:01 PM

If one is rotted, chances are, so is the other.
Fix the leaking one, and the regained back pressure will blow out the weak spots in the other.
Classic rusted exhaust.
Save yourself alot of money and headache, and get a stock catback from Lucky8.

XCELLER8 04-02-2018 10:54 PM

2x on doing the whole thing now Walt, the center one may "look " ok now ...but trust us ...it aint. and yes the stock lucky8 set up has worked well for me on all my D1's....go ugly early and cut the old stuff out, then fit all the new stuff before you tighten anything.
I have found that the toughest part is fitting the exhaust hangers in the rubber mounts...use grease and/or grind a little off the hanger for a smoother installation

jimvw57 04-03-2018 12:55 PM

I put a straight pipe in for the rear resonator and did not notice any difference in the noise level. If the rear turn down pipe is missing, it will melt the wiring going to the back lights in the bumper. Not a good thing.
Mine was damaged on a few rocks during a jaunt in the off road park. It was fun but I did have some repairs afterwards.

Best4x4 04-05-2018 08:59 PM

I say ditch the rear resonator, and have a straight pipe made with a tip that looks OEM.

WaltNYC 04-16-2018 08:40 AM

Well thanks to a few of you here I went with the entire cat back system from Lucky8. The kit fit remarkably well and was simple to install. I did use some Permatex exhaust and muffler sealer at the joints which seems to have worked pretty well. I hope it lasts. For <$200 my risk is relatively low.

The most difficult part was drilling out the studs which broke off from the collar on the Y-pipe in order to replace with SS nuts and bolts.

Sixpack577 04-16-2018 10:24 AM

Glad to hear it worked well for you.