Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Help please! Something is binding when I hit the brakes in reverse.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 10:52 AM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WaltNYC
Perhaps overly simplistic...but do you have any debris/mud/rocks caught under the mud shields?
I did take it to the power washer and spray them off. But I will take off the wheels and inspect.

Originally Posted by EricTyrrell
Maybe something is causing your e-brake to engage in reverse?
This is actually kind of what it feels like. And the first time I noticed it (forgot to mention this) I had been stopped on a hill for a few minutes in park with the e-brake engaged. Took the e-brake off and backed up, that's the first time it bound.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:54 AM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll put it on jack stands and spin the wheels, if I can't isolate anything I'll take it to the tire shop and see if they'll let me use their lift.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:03 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like you may have either a CDL failure or a front or rear diff internal bearings may have failed. Have you checked your propshfts for play? Up down, side to side?

Old 05-22-2012, 11:36 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ColoDisco
Sounds like you may have either a CDL failure or a front or rear diff internal bearings may have failed. Have you checked your propshfts for play? Up down, side to side?

If it was this it would happen in drive as well. I'm trying to think of things that are affected by the rotation of drive train components..

Old 05-22-2012, 11:42 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hummm......a brake shoe that has disengaged on one end....drags fine in forward motion...then when in reverse, it jams and tries to bind into the drum????

Old 05-22-2012, 11:46 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by wheelgarage
Hummm......a brake shoe that has disengaged on one end....drags fine in forward motion...then when in reverse, it jams and tries to bind into the drum????

This may be possible - pull the drum off and take a look see

Old 05-22-2012, 11:59 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Jake1996D1
If it was this it would happen in drive as well. I'm trying to think of things that are affected by the rotation of drive train components..
On AWD these are rotational drivetrain components, happens on older Audi's. Brake shoe is definitely a possibility too!

Old 05-22-2012, 01:15 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Mountain Goat
I'll put it on jack stands and spin the wheels, if I can't isolate anything I'll take it to the tire shop and see if they'll let me use their lift.
The only problem with putting it on stands or up in the are is that it takes all the resistance of the tires being on the ground out of the picture.. Were you able to replicate it while on jack stands by putting it in reverse and hitting the brakes?

Originally Posted by ColoDisco
On AWD these are rotational drivetrain components, happens on older Audi's. Brake shoe is definitely a possibility too!
this is true but pinion bearing issues arent going to change in drive or reverse because nothing is really changing when torque is applied the opposite direction. Where if a bad ujoint is being pushed instead of pulled because of how the drive shaft is rotating and the brakes are applied it could bind...

Another question.. Have you checked your engine/transfer case mounts? I am thinking going in reverse and braking may be lifting your tcase off the frame?

I'm just trying to come up with answers to both issues - reverse and happens when brakes are applied.. This kinda rules out the e-brake drum/shoe answer..

Old 05-22-2012, 04:40 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Mounts were my next guess as well.

Old 05-22-2012, 07:41 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Broken caliper bolt, caliper moving.

Quick Reply: Help please! Something is binding when I hit the brakes in reverse.