Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

HID's in a 95 Disco

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 02:30 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good thing I have already spoke with Mike and solved the problem I was having, sounds like some of you need to be on CNN to much political BS in this thread for it to even be useful. The setup I am running has no brighter or glare of light in the housing than a set of Sylvania Silverstar bulbs I tried them earlier tonight. They do however offer a much sharper pattern on the ground where it counts the most

Old 12-10-2010, 09:31 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I am not worried about blinding other drivers as I usually run my Hella's through town anyway.... people don't bright me, but it is probably because they don't have a free hand to find the lights...

Did you get them working Cooter?

Old 12-10-2010, 10:31 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Spencerfitch
Tom I'm sorry but your thinking is flawed.. YOU CAANNOT say speeding is At times safer. Stops take longer and damage is multiplied. If you think otherwise then....
ok, Go drive on the interstate at 40 mph (the legal min) when everyone else is doing 80 and see if you and other people on the road feel safer.

HIDS can be safer AT TIMES to the driver (providing more light) and AT TIMES to the approaching vehicle around blind curbs, that is till the the approaching driver is actually blinded. BUT SINCE WERE SPEAKING OF AT TIMES..
So you're going to set them up so sometimes they are HID's and sometimes not?
In any case I'm not saying no HID's ever, I'm saying no HID's in halogen housings.
Because they are not designed to work as a unit they are never safer than good halogen bulbs.

It's SAFER for me AT TIMES. To run a yellow/red light than slamming on brakes.
If you have a clear view both directions and nothing is coming, yeah, it would be. But personally I just pay attention when I'm driving so I don't have to slam on my brakes to stop at a red.

ItS safer AT TIMES to not wear a seatbelt.. Or not have airbags..
Feel free to take yours off when it's safer, I couldn't care less.

Originally Posted by Spencerfitch
Altering vehicle height and width and tint and exhaust and lights can be illegal
Have I ever suggest someone do that in a manner that risks other peoples' lives? What's your point?

Originally Posted by COOTER-GUY
sounds like some of you need to be on CNN to much political BS in this thread for it to even be useful.
Please explain to me how pointing out illegal modifications that jeopardize the safety of others is "political BS".

The setup I am running has no brighter or glare of light in the housing than a set of Sylvania Silverstar bulbs I tried them earlier tonight. They do however offer a much sharper pattern on the ground where it counts the most
You obviously don't know how automotive bulbs, reflectors and lens are designed as a unit to work together.
You also don't understand how the human eye works. You want less light on the ground right in front of your car, not more, for better safety at night.

Originally Posted by okdiscoguy
I am not worried about blinding other drivers as I usually run my Hella's through town anyway.... people don't bright me, but it is probably because they don't have a free hand to find the lights...
Well you're definitely cool.

Originally Posted by Chris-bob
That being said, I am in favor of doing whatever you want to your vehicle, as long as it does not jeopardize the lives of anyone
In general I agree. That's the problem, HID's in halogen housings jeopardizes the safety of others. And there are people, as evidenced in this thread, who
a. can't be bothered to educate themselves or
b. just don't give a crap about other drivers on the road.
Those are the only two options for people who retrofit HID's to halogen housings. They can deny it all they want, but those are the facts.

Old 12-10-2010, 03:02 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Tom, I was just trying to make someone, anyone laugh and let go of the discussion.

People get on here and want to cut out their cats. Can't just tell them it is illegal, you have to go through ahd explain how it will harm your engine, bla, bla. I am on the fence with HID's, but if it says on the box offroad only, that is what it is for... Some people want to do it, and are going to regardless of what you say. Offer a warning and drop it is what I have found to be best..

I don't really run my Hella's in town...

I will say that I have my CDL and I don't care what other people are doing, I don't speed. They can go around me..

Old 12-10-2010, 03:47 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Tom i must give you props that was the most complicated multi-quote response on any forum i have ever seen. my head is spinning worse than when someone is driving at me with illegal HID's in their dodge neon.

Old 12-10-2010, 04:04 PM
Baja

Originally Posted by okdiscoguy
Tom, I was just trying to make someone, anyone laugh and let go of the discussion.
Zing! you got me. lol

People get on here and want to cut out their cats. Can't just tell them it is illegal, you have to go through ahd explain how it will harm your engine, bla, bla. I am on the fence with HID's, but if it says on the box offroad only, that is what it is for... Some people want to do it, and are going to regardless of what you say. Offer a warning and drop it is what I have found to be best..
I honestly don't care so much about the legality, other than to point it out so people can factor that in, since doing something you know to be illegal to your car that causes and accident (which blinding other drivers can do) can leave you open to having your insurance canceled and both civil and criminal liability. Some people just don't think about that.

There is a lot of misinformation about HID's and some people think if they say DOT on them, or state regs don't address them, then they are legal, which they aren't.

My biggest beef is just that they are dangerous to other drivers.

Old 12-10-2010, 04:05 PM
Baja

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
Tom i must give you props that was the most complicated multi-quote response on any forum i have ever seen. my head is spinning worse than when someone is driving at me with illegal HID's in their dodge neon.
Well, just for you, I'm replying separately.

Sorry.

Old 12-10-2010, 04:21 PM

the thing i can't figure out is our trucks came with village lights. because those polite folks across the pond don't want to shine their lights into peoples homes when driving thru the village. here it is, "how f'n bright can i make my headlights!?!?!"

Old 12-10-2010, 07:04 PM
Baja

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
the thing i can't figure out is our trucks came with village lights. because those polite folks across the pond don't want to shine their lights into peoples homes when driving thru the village. here it is, "how f'n bright can i make my headlights!?!?!"
LOL Yeah. Every time I'm driving in the UK, my wife, who's from there, is always saying, "Tom, no brights in town!"

Old 12-10-2010, 08:28 PM

my ex is from the UK... the only thing im going to import from now on is going to be mechanical

Quick Reply: HID's in a 95 Disco