Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

High idle... Throttle plates off. Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 10:18 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question High idle... Throttle plates off. Please help!

Hey everyone,
Earlier this summer I purchased a used 1996 Land Rover Discovery SD. It's a good solid rover, but I'm having some mechanical issues.
Upon inspection of the rover before purchasing I noticed the vehicle had an unstable idle and would stall. The seller had contacted a mechanic that works at an exotic car dealership and specializes in Land Rovers. The mechanic had told the seller he would reprogram the ECU, and set the base idle steps for me at a later time. I was 95 miles away from home and the seller was worried about it stalling on me.

Thinking that it would decrease the number of stalling incidences, the seller tinkered with some things under the hood... I thought he knew what he was doing.

I drove the rover 45 minutes to bring it for an ECU programming, just to find out the mechanic couldn't do reprogram it. He tried twice with no success.

According to the mechanic, The seller of the vehicle turned up the base idle screw, not the step adjustment screw. The throttle blades are now off, not allowing the idle motor to work. The throttle housing has to come off and a special tool needs to be used to reset the throttle blade. The throttle needs to be set properly to use the scanner to set the steps. The mechanic says this will take several hours.

Has anyone heard or run into any issues with this? Any tips and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I'm 20 years old, and this is my first land rover. I'm a member of the Chicago land rover club. I am very eager to get my Disco fixed so I can hit the trails with the club. However, I'd like some opinions before I go dishing out over $100 per hour for repairs.

Thanks!
-Tim

Old 08-13-2013, 10:37 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by BearCatRover
Hey everyone,
Earlier this summer I purchased a used 1996 Land Rover Discovery SD. It's a good solid rover, but I'm having some mechanical issues.
Upon inspection of the rover before purchasing I noticed the vehicle had an unstable idle and would stall. The seller had contacted a mechanic that works at an exotic car dealership and specializes in Land Rovers. The mechanic had told the seller he would reprogram the ECU, and set the base idle steps for me at a later time. I was 95 miles away from home and the seller was worried about it stalling on me.

Thinking that it would decrease the number of stalling incidences, the seller tinkered with some things under the hood... I thought he knew what he was doing.

I drove the rover 45 minutes to bring it for an ECU programming, just to find out the mechanic couldn't do reprogram it. He tried twice with no success.

According to the mechanic, The seller of the vehicle turned up the base idle screw, not the step adjustment screw. The throttle blades are now off, not allowing the idle motor to work. The throttle housing has to come off and a special tool needs to be used to reset the throttle blade. The throttle needs to be set properly to use the scanner to set the steps. The mechanic says this will take several hours.

Has anyone heard or run into any issues with this? Any tips and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I'm 20 years old, and this is my first land rover. I'm a member of the Chicago land rover club. I am very eager to get my Disco fixed so I can hit the trails with the club. However, I'd like some opinions before I go dishing out over $100 per hour for repairs.

Thanks!
-Tim
Hey Tim,
You're better off getting a used intake/throttle body from Paul Grant. It should be cheaper than paying several hours of labor. You(or us) can install the new throttle body, then you can drive it to Jorge(LOL) and have him reset the adaptive values(takes 5 minutes).

W didn't actually drill that plug and turn the screw. It was his mechanic in Madison that did. Regardless, that plug and screw aren't to be messed with. Its a cover up remedy for a greater underlying issue.

I may have a spare throttle body actually, I'll check when I get home.

Last edited by fishEH; 08-13-2013 at 10:40 AM.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:50 AM
Overlanding

Brett, thank you so much!

Old 08-13-2013, 12:26 PM
Baja
Received 227 Likes on 197 Posts

Yeah that was the remedy land rover dealer in cherry hill did to mine, I just bought a replacement Plenum because of their screw up, wish they would have told me they did not know how to fix it

Old 08-13-2013, 08:08 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by TOM R
Yeah that was the remedy land rover dealer in cherry hill did to mine, I just bought a replacement Plenum because of their screw up, wish they would have told me they did not know how to fix it
Tom:
Sorry to hear about that! I like your rig by the way... How do you like that HF 12000 LB winch? I have an ARB bumper and winch plate for concealing a warn winch behind the ARB. Do you think the HF mounting holes would line up with the bracket I have?
Thanks,
Tim

Old 08-13-2013, 08:15 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If Brett doesnt have a spare TB I do. TPS is gone though.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:50 PM
Baja

[QUOTE=BearCatRover;414866
Sorry to hear about that! I like your rig by the way... How do you like that HF 12000 LB winch? I have an ARB bumper and winch plate for concealing a warn winch behind the ARB. Do you think the HF mounting holes would line up with the bracket I have?
Thanks,
Tim[/QUOTE]

Love the winch, this is my second my first has sat on my hoe trailer for 10 years? Slow but never let me down

The power cable supplied could be better

Check out the link on my signature

I have had this new one submerged a few times with vehicle stuck, works great buy the wireless remote kit well worth the $30

The hf winch can be bought on sale and use a 20% coupon = $220 for 12k winch

Old 08-14-2013, 12:25 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by TOM R
Love the winch, this is my second my first has sat on my hoe trailer for 10 years? Slow but never let me down

The power cable supplied could be better

Check out the link on my signature

I have had this new one submerged a few times with vehicle stuck, works great buy the wireless remote kit well worth the $30

The hf winch can be bought on sale and use a 20% coupon = $220 for 12k winch

Just called my local HF, they said their next sale would be the "sidewalk sale" which starts on August 23rd. The lady stated she didn't think the 20% coupon could be used at the sale though, if the winch was displayed there. Right now I have a coupon for $299... Really would love to ****** one up for $220 like you did. Which sale did you go to for yours?

Old 08-14-2013, 02:06 PM
Baja

It was managers special, guys here have been hit or miss using coupon on sale items, at the store I went to they said register automaticly takes the 29% off most expensive item so guess it is just a matter of getting them to take the coupon?