Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

How do I test the cruise control?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 11:37 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I test the cruise control?

Is there a way to test the cruise control system?

I am thinking the ump is babd but wonder how to test it.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:43 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you look over the hoses to see if they were in good shape? Mine are all cracked to hell. If yours were never replaced I cant imagine them being in much better shape.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:47 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by filbs
did you look over the hoses to see if they were in good shape? Mine are all cracked to hell. If yours were never replaced I cant imagine them being in much better shape.

yeah they are in good shape. hold vacuum etc.

Old 07-03-2012, 11:51 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does the light come on in the cabin when you press the button?

Old 07-03-2012, 11:57 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by filbs
Does the light come on in the cabin when you press the button?
Yes the light on the button does, is there another?

Old 07-03-2012, 01:09 PM
Mudding

i would like to know too, i have been trying to trouble shoot mine for months, thanks!

Old 07-03-2012, 01:13 PM
Rock Crawling

Well i think I will fashion a clip to the wiring and test with a light. route wiring with light to cab and see which wires are getting power.

I may even hook up a long vacuum tube to the pump and see if I get any reading.

No biggie. I figured there was a more sano method of testing.

Old 07-03-2012, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

u can meter at control to tell if all switches work, etc., b4 you tear into steering wheel...

Old 07-08-2012, 11:18 PM
3rd Gear

I am having cruise issues too. Hoses are new and they hold a vacuum. To test the paddle switches on the steering wheel I put the ign switch in run and hit the cruise switch. I put my multimeter on terminal 3 of the ECU and cycled the RES/DECEL switch. I reliably get 12 volts at term 3. I did the same for term 4 and got the same results.
Now here is where I am stuck. I inserted three test leads into terms 1,7, and 6. I took the truck out on the road with my multimeter wired up to ground. I got the beast up to speed and connected the positive lead to each pinout one at a time and cycled the set switch. I beleive I should have gotten voltage out of term 1 when I cycled the set switch but didnt.
Now heres the kicker. When I first started trouble shooting this I would pull the vac motor and make it run off the battery then reinstall everything and I would have cruise. It would drop out at speed and now I dont have cruise at all.
I have just started looking at the lockout relay so havent trouble shot any of that circuit yet.

Old 07-15-2012, 01:16 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by leadbullitt
I am having cruise issues too. Hoses are new and they hold a vacuum. To test the paddle switches on the steering wheel I put the ign switch in run and hit the cruise switch. I put my multimeter on terminal 3 of the ECU and cycled the RES/DECEL switch. I reliably get 12 volts at term 3. I did the same for term 4 and got the same results.
Now here is where I am stuck. I inserted three test leads into terms 1,7, and 6. I took the truck out on the road with my multimeter wired up to ground. I got the beast up to speed and connected the positive lead to each pinout one at a time and cycled the set switch. I beleive I should have gotten voltage out of term 1 when I cycled the set switch but didnt.
Now heres the kicker. When I first started trouble shooting this I would pull the vac motor and make it run off the battery then reinstall everything and I would have cruise. It would drop out at speed and now I dont have cruise at all.
I have just started looking at the lockout relay so havent trouble shot any of that circuit yet.
Bumping this thread looking for some help. Thank You

Quick Reply: How do I test the cruise control?