Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery I (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/)
-   -   How many miles is too high for purchase? (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/how-many-miles-too-high-purchase-60478/)

WildCJ5 07-14-2013 09:25 PM

How many miles is too high for purchase?

First off let me say hello and that this is a great site.

Looking into getting a Disco I. I have been pouring over the tech stuff on the forum and the one thing I have not been able to figure out is how long these motors last. How high is too high when purchasing? I enjoy wrenching but swapping a Disco motor sounds pricey.:p

Thanks in advance.

Deleted my build link, for some reason it wouldn't connect.

Savannah Buzz 07-14-2013 09:28 PM

They don't last too long if overheated. Head gaskets are a common problem. But there are a number well over 200,000 miles, mine is 185K ish. Disco motors at boneyard are cheap, but usually need head gaskets.

jafir 07-14-2013 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by WildCJ5 (Post 409343)

Thanks in advance. Here is a link to my current Miata build if anyone is interested. Motors for these are $600.:D

A disco engine can be had for $1000 to $1500 from reliable sources. That's not that much more than your Miata when you consider it's twice the cylinders and twice the displacement. ;)

WildCJ5 07-14-2013 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by jafir (Post 409348)
A disco engine can be had for $1000 to $1500 from reliable sources. That's not that much more than your Miata when you consider it's twice the cylinders and twice the displacement. ;)

Good to know. So, what milage would you be comfortable with when picking up a used truck if all seemed right and in order? The reason for asking is all the first gen Discos I see seem to be around 140-180K. For me in a Miata that is not a concern, iron block, non-interference motor. They are like roaches and will run long after they should be dead.

Thanks again.

jafir 07-14-2013 10:52 PM

I'm more concerned about the price than the miles, just because I've heard of some pretty low mileage disco needing some pretty expensive repairs. Being lower miles on these things unfortunately isn't much of a guarantee of not needing something big. Sometimes the higher miles means that the broken stuff has already been replaced.

Low price and a thorough inspection is the best bet for me personally.

EricTyrrell 07-14-2013 11:20 PM

Maintenance and giving a **** is what I'd look for. Not miles.

WildCJ5 07-15-2013 06:46 AM

Thank you, that is what I was looking to hear.

SSL9000J 07-15-2013 09:12 AM

It all depends on price & condition, really. Personally, I'd stay away from anything heavily modded, who knows what it's been through.

Savannah Buzz 07-15-2013 10:13 AM

And best deal ever posted was member Roxie Moxie who snagged a D2 with 117 garage kept miles, original tank of gas, for $2000. Care of the vehicle seems to be inverse to number of owners, mine had six before I brought it home.

RobG4 07-15-2013 05:40 PM

If you are patient, and take a few months in your search, you can find a cherry truck. Under 100k, single owner, service records, after market mods. All can be had for $2-$4k. Just be patient and don't buy the first one you like.