Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

I bought the Disco I !!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 09:13 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I bought the Disco I !!!

So if any of you remember me I was considering buying a 99 Disco I with a blown motor. And I did!!!

I ended up getting it for 600 (a little high I know), but I just couldn't resist.

I am found a used engine with shipping for about $800

I have a local shop that is going to do it for about $600

I have read the major high mile service bulletin, is there anything that you guys would absolutely recommend having done when the motor is out of the vehicle? I can do most other normal maintenance stuff when the engine is inside the compartment.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:15 AM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you get a used engine...i would might as well rebuild the sucker while its out of the rover.

if your mechanical inclined or have a buddy...go rent a cherry picker..and do the swap your self..its really not that bad

Old 01-20-2011, 09:38 AM
Drifting

Well I am not sure that is exactly an easy option, I don't have a garage, nor the money for a full rebuild.

I was more or less asking if there was something that is common failure point that is hard to get to with the engine in the vehicle that should be replaced.

I actually may have a friend help me do this instead of the garage cause I want to save as much money as possible.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:52 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Check the engine over. See if the headgaskets are leaking, way easier to do out of the vehicle. The rear main seals, super easy while it is out. Front main seals. You get the idea. Seals seals seals...

Old 01-20-2011, 10:20 AM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would at least minimum do a head gasket job

Old 01-20-2011, 12:27 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can you spin it over and check Compression BEFORE you install? Even on a chain fall you can use a battery to turn the starter.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:44 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Either rent or buy a stout engine stand or rig something up. Go over that sucker as completely as possible as far as all the seals, I would do the head gasket as well as make sure it is even worth putting in. After all, you know nothing about this used engine do you? It wasn't availabble at that price because it is new or in perfect shape. Assume the worst and work you way thru it.

The remove the hood and take the grille, radiator, and much other stuff off and give yourself plenty of working room. After the engine is in and it and your driveline are in up to date condition as far as them being serviced and you will have a great staret on a dependable Discovery. After all, you will have to drain and replace all the fluids anyway, why not go for as much as possible. Doing it yourself will give you 600 hundred or more to do a thorough job on it yourself and then you will know the vehicle much better and be prepared to maintain it and enjoy it for a long time to come.

And remember, a shop will say we can do that for around 600 but then they get part way thru and guess what, other things pop up and you end up paying waay more than that original ballpark figure.

That is the approach I would take. Also usually most cost effective in the long run.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:36 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I would do the head gaskets and all seals.
Slap that puppy in and go man go!!

Old 01-20-2011, 08:14 PM
Drifting

Thanks everyone!

I think thats a good idea, to do head gaskets and seals now. I am going to try to do it myself, I have never actually done head gaskets on any of my vehicles, the furthest I have ever gone is lower intake gaskets, so I guess i am little worried I might screw something up. But I have been looking through the RAVE and as long as I have the correct tools I think I might be able to do it.

I really can't wait to get this thing up and running, I am pumped!!!

Old 01-20-2011, 09:22 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats is all I can say

Quick Reply: I bought the Disco I !!!