Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery I (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/)
-   -   I can only buy one... Disco or Land Cruiser (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/i-can-only-buy-one-disco-land-cruiser-86196/)

Hooverscon 09-24-2017 07:29 PM

I can only buy one... Disco or Land Cruiser

Hello All!

I have been on this site for a while now... But I've finally made it official! Anyways, I have a serious question. I have an opportunity to buy one of two vehicles and I am legitimately having a hard time trying to figure out what one to buy. My intent for this vehicle is to use as a mild-moderate off roader that will pull a light single axle trailer with my camping gear (and family). I have mildly handy when I comes to auto repair.

Vehicle 1: 1998 Land Rover Discovery 1 3.9L with approx. 180,000 miles. The head gasket has been replaced by a skilled land rover mechanic (Who is also the vehicles owner). He has use this vehicle for approx. 1 year as an off road (went wheeling twice). The only after market equipment is a 2" lift. The guy wants $1500.

Vehicle 2: 2002 Toyota Land Cruiser 4.7L with approx. 150,000 miles. The vehicle is completely stock and is asking $12,000. There is no mechanical issues and all service records are available.

I know that there is a huge price gap (~ 10K :p ) that could add a ton of after market accessories to the Discovery... I am just concerned about engine life and capabilities. I am aware I am on a LR Forum haha but I still need some help. I sold my 99' Disco 1 about a year ago and have been missing an off roader ever since. I didn't have an reliability issues when I had it. I sold it with approx. 120,000 miles.

Side note* There is a chance that I will be getting a travel lite trailer ~ 2,200 lbs. That I would need to tow occasionally.

Kdo58 09-24-2017 08:11 PM

Are you a troll? Thought this was a Land Rover forum.

Hooverscon 09-24-2017 09:30 PM

LOL I figured I'd get that response! i am a LR enthusiast... but also a realist. I just wanted to get some "unbiased" opinions haha

ArmyRover 09-24-2017 09:44 PM

I like a truck with soul, I'd buy a Rover

robertf 09-24-2017 11:56 PM

IFS and and wide. They aren't really comparable.

fishEH 09-25-2017 01:01 AM

98's came with a 4.0, not 3.9

OverRover 09-25-2017 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by ArmyRover (Post 620617)
I like a truck with soul, I'd buy a Rover

I think you mean a truck.....THAT WILL STEAL YOUR SOUL!!! :devil::devil::devil: But I'd still buy the Rover too. ;)

DiscoCam 09-25-2017 10:34 AM

I'm gonna get a lot of crap for this one.

Get the Land Cruiser.

whiskeynipple0088 09-25-2017 10:38 AM

I second DiscoCam - Ill be flamed too
Land Cruiser or Lexus LX470

stillruns 09-25-2017 01:17 PM

If you can afford the $12k LC, pay $1500 more and buy both.

ArmyRover 09-25-2017 04:58 PM

Along that line of thought why not just get a LR3

Sixpack577 09-25-2017 07:57 PM

Friend of mine had a Land Cruiser in his shop few weeks ago. We got to talking part prices.
Some of the Toyota parts are cheap, as you would expect, only the LC shares very few parts with other Toyotas. Land Cruiser part prices are very expensive!
Way, way more than Discovery part prices.
$1500 Disco with $10500 to spend would make a great rock crawling daily driver.
If money is no object, get the Land Cruiser.

I belive I told OffRoadFrance a while back that Land Cruiser parts were cheap here! Ha! My appologies man, I hadn't checked prices on them in a long time.
It's to be expected with alot of "one vehicle specific" parts, but man are they high!

DiscoCam 09-26-2017 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by Sixpack577 (Post 620723)
Friend of mine had a Land Cruiser in his shop few weeks ago. We got to talking part prices.
Some of the Toyota parts are cheap, as you would expect, only the LC shares very few parts with other Toyotas. Land Cruiser part prices are very expensive!
Way, way more than Discovery part prices.
$1500 Disco with $10500 to spend would make a great rock crawling daily driver.
If money is no object, get the Land Cruiser.

I belive I told OffRoadFrance a while back that Land Cruiser parts were cheap here! Ha! My appologies man, I hadn't checked prices on them in a long time.
It's to be expected with alot of "one vehicle specific" parts, but man are they high!

Yeah some Toyota parts are kinda pricey.

For example, the transfer case on a newer Tacoma takes 75W oil that only Toyota makes. It's about $50 a quart, and the transfer case takes 1.1 quarts. Kinda frustrating, waste of $45. The diffs take a different oil so you can't use the rest in those. I think my 4Runner is the same.

They do stuff like that, but with that said, I'll still take the Land Cruiser.

whiskeynipple0088 09-26-2017 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by DiscoCam (Post 620736)
Yeah some Toyota parts are kinda pricey.

For example, the transfer case on a newer Tacoma takes 75W oil that only Toyota makes. It's about $50 a quart, and the transfer case takes 1.1 quarts. Kinda frustrating, waste of $45. The diffs take a different oil so you can't use the rest in those. I think my 4Runner is the same.

They do stuff like that, but with that said, I'll still take the Land Cruiser.

While I agree that stuff can be annoying, its prolly why, hands down they are a far more reliable longer lasting, lasting value vehicle that has aged quite well. I love my Disco but no one can deny the reliability of the LC.

Shiftonthefly1 09-26-2017 12:35 PM

LC upgrade parts are outrageous. Forget maintenance costs. They are obviously reliable. So maintenance isn't a huge expense. But start shopping for lifts racks and other goodies they are twice what they run for the Disco.

The LC is going to be infinity better on the highway. It will have more power. Better gas mileage. More grunt. Less worries. However it's hard to beat a well prepared Disco off road.

I personally would still like the Discovery. But if your goal is sheer function and reliability get the Toyota. Have fun blending in with the masses.