Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

I'm back! with a very odd whirring noise!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 01:59 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm back! with a very odd whirring noise!

Hey everyone, literally JUST got my new double-cardan driveshaft in and went for a short drive to test it out. Lo and behold-a new noise! Never heard anything quite like this-sounds almost electrical in nature but it goes on and off with the engine. Figuring something related to the serpentine belt. Could this be fan clutch? Thing is totally locked up. I'll post a video for your consideration in a few moments.
WILL IT EVER STOP!?!?!?!? She loves my money (or lack thereof).

Here's the video link.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46909521@N06/9494670025/

Last edited by formel3; 08-12-2013 at 02:10 PM. Reason: add video link
Old 08-12-2013, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

are you saying that the fan clutch is bad?

Old 08-12-2013, 02:42 PM
Three Wheeling

No-I'm honestly not sure. Thing is stuck solid even when hot so I'm guessing its just been bolted through. Wondering if this noise may have something to do with it or if this is unrelated....or if i should be worried.

Old 08-12-2013, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

AC condenser fans come on with AC. You can take a stick and hold one end to your ear and touch other end to things like alternator, etc., to find the noise. Wait a second... you are in the D1 forum... your fan works different. You might also have an SAI air pump making a noise.

Old 08-12-2013, 05:19 PM
Three Wheeling

yeah, I know it's not the electric fans-just replaced em. It's a bit odd because I was leaning toward SAI too, but even when the car was hot it makes the noise. I just drove it like 50 miles, and no noise until i shut the motor off and while it was cutting off it made a squeak kind of noise.

Old 08-12-2013, 05:32 PM
Baja
Received 227 Likes on 197 Posts

If you had the belt off and it is routed wrong it Weill squeak

If the clutch is locked up there will be a loud whirring sound that increases with rpm of engine

Fan should be locked when hot (to some extent) spin free cold like 1+ revolution iirc

Saw video do what buzz said,my guess alt is going poo

Last edited by TOM R; 08-12-2013 at 05:35 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:07 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Grab a long screwdriver or broom handle and track it down!

Old 08-12-2013, 09:00 PM
Three Wheeling

So I took another short drive in her this evening. I'm getting incredibly frustrated. Can't get it to do it at my house, but now it seems that whenever I am pulling up to a set of lights it kicks up and then the motor shuts off. COMPLETELY. Won't idle at all unless I am feathering the gas. Of course, I pull into my neighbourhood and all is well again. No noise, no stall, no rough idle...NOTHING. She is teasing me so hard. This thing would be well suited to being a donor for my '96 I initially bought for parts...it never has skipped a beat and it cost $600 where this one is now touching $5000...shame she is so clean and well kept in every other way...

Old 08-13-2013, 07:58 PM
Three Wheeling

Well, she was acting up again today...and as I was pulling up to a traffic jam I promised her and the rover gods a feast of bangers and mash if she would idle properly-I pulled up and all was well. everything has been flawless since. (knock on wood) I still feel like there is definitely something to fix here-but for now it's simply disappeared. I think there was an oil flow path being blocked by some rogue sludge or something that has worked its way out now-I cleaned the oil pan, pick up and heads while I was in VA replacing the transfer case. So maybe something just broke loose and freed it up. No knock anymore either (also knock on wood) but I think it's kind of resolved itself. Thanks again everyone.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:02 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

good to hear. I wish I could have problems just....disappear.

Quick Reply: I'm back! with a very odd whirring noise!