Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery I (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/)
-   -   Installing a lift (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/installing-lift-48691/)

luckyd77 04-03-2012 08:22 AM

Installing a lift

I got my terrafirma MD lift in last week and I want to install this weekend since I'm badly in need of swapping shocks and springs(160k miles on orginal shocks and springs).

1. How tough of a job is this? The hardest thing I've done on this truck so far was swapping a CV joint and that felt pretty easy- aside from getting stuck bolts out of the calipers.

2. What tools will I need besides jack stands and my bottle jack. Will a normal socket wrench work or do I need something more specialized?

3. What things have you guys encountered that I may want to look out for while starting this project.

I'm going to start spraying down the bolts with PB Blaster a couple days before so hopefully it'll speed things up. Anyone have a link for a detailed shock install on a Disco 1?

slanginsanjuan 04-03-2012 08:37 AM

my problems were with the spring seats on the bottom and the bit that secures the springs at the top. didn't realize id need some new ones, the ones at the top rusted on the bolts where they attach to the engine bay...caused some days of looking for parts and not driving.

my other problem was that the mechanic originally installed the rear in the front and vv. but he's like that.

Higgs Boson 04-03-2012 08:43 AM

You will want a large pipe wrench to hold the old shocks from turning while you remove the nuts from the mounting studs on the bottom. The bottom mounts in the front are kinda close quarters. There is nothing difficult about this install. Take your time and work safely. The rear is probably easier than the front, it's very basic. Use common sense and you will be fine.

fishEH 04-03-2012 05:58 PM

Pretty goodwrite up here.
4x4Wire - Land Rover Discovery OME Spring and Shock Install
The hardest part will be removing he old hardware, especially the components you will want to reuse. Those being the front shock tower securing rings and the rear upper shock mount. Go S L O W when removing the old nuts. Spray PB and start backng the nuts off. When you come to a tough spot, STOP. Thread the nut back down, wire brush the exposed threads, PB again, and resume backing the nut off. Repeat this process. If you just force it you'll shear the bolts.
And buy new nuts for the above mentioned areas, or use Locktite when reinstalling.

ColoDisco 04-03-2012 06:19 PM

Both of my rear upper shock mount nuts broke off my studs. Luckily my business partner is a amazing welder and affixed new studs to the mounts.

fishEH 04-03-2012 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by ColoDisco (Post 310354)
Both of my rear upper shock mount nuts broke off my studs. Luckily my business partner is a amazing welder and affixed new studs to the mounts.

The stud on my passenger rear upper mount sheared off when I installed my lift. Fortunately there was still enough stud to get a nut on securely. I helped install a lift on a D1 back in Jan and I worked on the rear upper mount nuts for at least 15 minutes per side. That was just to get the nuts off. Not trying to scare you but just give a heads up to take your time on these. The rest goes fast.

Jake1996D1 04-03-2012 10:44 PM

Hey guys whats this thing you call "a lift"?

LeakyDisco 04-03-2012 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by fishEH (Post 310349)
Pretty goodwrite up here.
4x4Wire - Land Rover Discovery OME Spring and Shock Install
The hardest part will be removing he old hardware, especially the components you will want to reuse. Those being the front shock tower securing rings and the rear upper shock mount. Go S L O W when removing the old nuts. Spray PB and start backng the nuts off. When you come to a tough spot, STOP. Thread the nut back down, wire brush the exposed threads, PB again, and resume backing the nut off. Repeat this process. If you just force it you'll shear the bolts.
And buy new nuts for the above mentioned areas, or use Locktite when reinstalling.

+1

I used this guide when I did my shocks and springs. It wasn't a difficult job.

I blogged about it here: Disco Chronicles: Memorial Weekend Maintenance: Part II

Edit: Forgot to mention to be safe and use jack stands when doing this job. The Disco is a heavy bugger.

Chris-bob 04-04-2012 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by Jake1996D1 (Post 310442)
Hey guys whats this thing you call "a lift"?

Also known as an elevator. Otis is a popular brand.

Jake1996D1 04-04-2012 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Chris-bob (Post 310458)
Also known as an elevator. Otis is a popular brand.

ahhh I see! Something like this?

http://www.wheelchairslift.net/wp-co...hair-lift3.jpg

Well if it makes you as happy as that guy then you should be in business!