Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery I (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/)
-   -   Intermittent rubbing noise coming from the front driver side area (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/intermittent-rubbing-noise-coming-front-driver-side-area-57138/)

Disco28 02-27-2013 07:15 AM

Intermittent rubbing noise coming from the front driver side area

I am absolutely perplexed as to what the rubbing sound I keep hearing is coming from. It's not a griding noise but a really inconsistent rubbing noise coming from the front driver side. I recently replaced the wheel bearings three months ago. CV axle doesn't click and I replaced the swivel oil with "00" grease last week. No metal or chunks in the swivel oil. Some times I the "rubbing" can be felt in the driver side pedals and surrounding areas. I have no Idea what it could possibly be. I hate trying to diagnose noises it
s the worst. If anyone has had a similar issue or general knowledge I would appreciate the feedback. Also, I haven't had the time to due to snow and really cold weather to inspect the bearings/hub again.

SSL9000J 02-27-2013 08:51 AM

Change your springs/shocks/ tire size recently? Maybe your springs are wearing out on one side, (driver side always has weight on it,) and your tire is starting to rub as it goes bouncing down the road.

keoni004 02-27-2013 09:25 AM

Can you do things to replicate it, like turning or hard braking? How'd your rotors look when you did the bearing, warped at all? Something similar with my old subie and the rotor wasn't torqued down tight by the shop.

Disco28 02-27-2013 08:56 PM

The noise didn't start until after I changed the bearings on that side. The rotors are brand new and the shocks are definitely worn on the front. Replicating the issue is difficult because It will make noise while turning, driving straight at high and low speeds. Perhaps I over tightened the hub nut and which wouldn't allow for adequate expansion and contraction of the axle? My only option is to tear down the hub and diagnose once the weather gets warmer. Thanks for the feedback now I'll be able to narrow down the issue.

Spike555 02-27-2013 09:44 PM

It sounds like a bearing issue to me.
Jack up that wheel, spin it, remove the tire, spin it, remove the caliper, spin it,remove the drive flange, spin it, keep going until you find the noise.
If you remove something and the noise goes away...but you prob have that hub nut to tight.

Disco28 02-27-2013 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Spike555 (Post 381538)
It sounds like a bearing issue to me.
Jack up that wheel, spin it, remove the tire, spin it, remove the caliper, spin it,remove the drive flange, spin it, keep going until you find the noise.
If you remove something and the noise goes away...but you prob have that hub nut to tight.

I'm thinking I over tightened the hub nut. Do I really need to use a dial indicator to test the end float on the axle if I torque the hub nuts according to the specs in the RAVE? Thanks for the help Spike :D. I'll report back once I get a chance and the weathers nice to tear down everything.