Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Labour Estimate

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 04:30 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Labour Estimate

I'm absolutely fuming right now. There honestly is no good mechanics left.
Unfortunately I can't do too much on my beast myself these days due to apartment living.

Here is what I had done.

1. Install new front TC output flange (for DII shaft) with OEM seal. Flange/Seal brand new from GBR.
  2. Re-seal TC cover (since it was being drained for the new flange)
  3. Install new GBR DII front shaft.
  4. Build brackets to lower sway bar as it was hitting the new shaft.
  5. Transmission drain & filter
  6. Replace Fuel Filter

These are the only complications they had.

Bolt snapped removing Y pipe to drop tranny pan. Had to drill it out.

Now this was a "British Expert" shop. Not a backyard guy but a make an appointment, drop it off mechanic.

Can someone please give me there fair estimate on time to do this? I'm pissed right off cause first he gouged me, fine I paid it. Then within 8 hrs I noticed the new TC seal is leaking and he is saying I'll have to pay for the job again. **** that.

So lets hear it. What are your guys estimates on time?

Old 09-02-2011, 08:31 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I have no idea but I'll give you a bump.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:35 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's called a comeback at the shop but, did you let him purchase the parts or you brought them in for him to install...if he ordered them. The onus is on him to warranty and if he won't, I'd frigging be out there every day with a sign. If you purchased then you may be hosed as he'll claim they were defective. See what I'm saying? More info Auzzie...also my wife and I will be in bc in a couple of weeks if you've got some time to say hi.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:41 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man I would get a sign, ACTUALLY I would rent the nearest billboard and **** the amount of money it is, IF it proves a point IT'S WORTH IT. Then I would maybe drive by with a sign on my car/both sides full and honkkkk and drive... Then pass back bye... over and over again!

Old 09-03-2011, 01:55 AM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AuZZZie
Install new front TC output flange (for DII shaft) with OEM seal. Flange/Seal brand new from GBR.8.8hr
  1. Re-seal TC cover (since it was being drained for the new flange).7hr
  2. Install new GBR DII front shaft. .9hr
  3. Build brackets to lower sway bar as it was hitting the new shaft.Actual time
  4. Transmission drain & filter2.4hr
  5. Replace Fuel Filter1.1hr
Bolt snapped removing Y pipe to drop tranny pan. Had to drill it out.no additional charge
Total time charged per Alldata Pro....13.9hours

So what did they charge you for the job? The above info I took from Alldata Pro, which is what most shops use(or Mitchell on demand) for figuring shop labor rates. Not a bunch of made up numbers of how fast(or slow) I think I could do it.

Before you start getting people in an uproar, you should at least tell us how many hours they charged you for on the job. And a breakdown would be even nicer.

Last edited by Chris-bob; 09-03-2011 at 01:59 AM.
Old 09-03-2011, 01:59 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's great and much appreciated. But 8.8hrs? What the hell is that quoting system smoking. Changing the front TC flange is like a 45min job max. 1.1 to change a fuel filter? Christ.. I can do it in 15min..

God I miss having a garage.

Old 09-03-2011, 02:01 AM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

And adigerol is correct. If you purchased the parts and brought them in, there is no warranty on the shops part. But if they provided the parts, they should warranty the parts and labor!

Old 09-03-2011, 08:56 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

I'm absolutely fuming right now. There honestly is no good mechanics left.
Unfortunately I can't do too much on my beast myself these days due to apartment living.

Here is what I had done.

1. Install new front TC output flange (for DII shaft) with OEM seal. Flange/Seal brand new from GBR.
  2. Re-seal TC cover (since it was being drained for the new flange)
  3. Install new GBR DII front shaft.
  4. Build brackets to lower sway bar as it was hitting the new shaft.
  5. Transmission drain & filter
  6. Replace Fuel Filter

Bolt snapped removing Y pipe to drop tranny pan. Had to drill it out.

Now this was a "British Expert" shop. Not a backyard guy but a make an appointment, drop it off mechanic.

Can someone please give me there fair estimate on time to do this? I'm pissed right off cause first he gouged me, fine I paid it. Then within 8 hrs I noticed the new TC seal is leaking and he is saying I'll have to pay for the job again. **** that.

So, cut to the chase, what did he charge you, why didn't you settle on an estimate first.
Sounds like this may have been expensive lesson for you.

Old 09-03-2011, 10:46 AM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I understand getting frustrated with a shop but like others have asked did you get a quote first and who provided parts? You may have a right to be frustrated at the shop but you may have to turn it back at yourself.

Old 09-03-2011, 06:01 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

That's great and much appreciated. But 8.8hrs? What the hell is that quoting system smoking. Changing the front TC flange is like a 45min job max. 1.1 to change a fuel filter? Christ.. I can do it in 15min..

God I miss having a garage.
Not to be a dick........but if you can do it that fast, then why don't you?

You decided at some point to pay someone else for their time and expertise. Remember, charged time includes the labor, but also the overhead for keeping and maintaining a shop. Running a business costs money.

It's not like someone held a gun to your head and made you do this. You even opted for the "british expert" you gotta pay.

Quick Reply: Labour Estimate