Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery I (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/)
-   -   Leaky Swivels? (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/leaky-swivels-48636/)

Spike555 04-01-2012 12:07 PM

Leaky Swivels?

2 Attachment(s)
My drivers side swivel was leaking, it was not leaving puddles or the like since I used grease in mine but it was messy and I would have to add gear lube every once and awhile.
While this technically does not stop the leak, it will contain it and eventually the boot will be filled with gear oil and the leak will then be stopped.

It was a pretty straight forward install, it took about a hour or so, the longest part was figuring out the retainer ring.
It only bolts on one way, once you move it you cannot see the holes to put it back because the boot is in the way and I had to move it and try again, then move it and try again, it just took time.
The second side was easier and because it was not covered in grease and oil it did not need as much cleaning and I knew what I was doing.

Attachment 43491

And boot installed.

Attachment 43492

I ordered the kit off of e-bay, it was about $85 shipped, which is cheaper than a new swivel ball and a hell of alot less work than replacing the seals.

Discovery 1, Defender items in gaiter kit store on eBay!

I waited until the difference between the USD and the GBP was close and then bought them to save a few dollars.
Shipping takes about a week.

Jake1996D1 04-01-2012 12:13 PM

Hmm nice band-aid

Spike555 04-01-2012 12:34 PM

I prefer to think of it as a cast, it lasts for years.
And is common in the rest of the world.
MOD trucks come with it from the factory.
Once it is time to rebuild my swivels I will replace the seals and adjust pre-load then, until then this works just fine.

Jake1996D1 04-01-2012 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Spike555 (Post 309663)
Once it is time to rebuild my swivels I will replace the seals and adjust pre-load then, until then this works just fine.

Yea I guess I just prefer to have my balls out :D

Spike555 04-01-2012 05:18 PM

LOL!!!

Mall security stopped from doing that.

black sheep 04-01-2012 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Spike555 (Post 309663)

I like this school of thought. When I first got mine I accidentally contaminated greased swivels with gear oil. So I have some seeping now. I ordered the Rover grease packs and they are on hand for when I figure out what I should do about it. Nice work on the gaitiers. Watching.

Spike555 04-02-2012 05:27 PM

The Rover swivel lube is nothing more than "00" grease which you can buy at your local lawnmower shop.
It is nothing more than grease and gear oil mixed together to make a paste.
The swivels originally filled with gear oil, but owners complained of leaks, so they switched over to the "00" grease.