Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery I (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/)
-   -   leaning landrover (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/leaning-landrover-54000/)

Shawn Cross 11-03-2012 10:43 PM

leaning landrover

I have a 1996 landrover SE7 with 140000 on road miles. The front has two different coil springs which makes it lean towards the passenger side. The coils are closer together on driver side than the other. Really weird. No broken springs. someone HELP PLEASE. thanks. Shawn

Spike555 11-04-2012 03:15 PM

How do you know it has two different springs on the front?
What it sounds like is the "Rover lean", it happens when the springs wear out, no big deal.
Just buy a set set of 4, you can get used ones for cheap off of ebay, or you can buy a brand new set, just Google it.

Disco Mike 11-04-2012 03:55 PM

Replace them both with a new matched pair of coils and be done with it.

DiscoBlanco 11-05-2012 09:19 AM

Mine leaned towards the passenger side as well on left hand turns. IDK, maybe the previous owner had a fat girlfriend.

I solved the problem with a new set of TerraFirma HD springs for less than $300 and an afternoon's work.

binvanna 11-05-2012 11:45 AM

Land Rover springs are handed. The driver and passenger side are different on purpose, and the springs are different for RHD versus LHD. Almost all aftermarket springs in the North American market are not handed. OME, which originates in Australia where RHD prevails can be handed. Maybe with RHD it makes more of a difference.

Oftentimes people with leaning rovers find out it's not because of the springs, but because of bent anti-sway bars, failed bushings, or other broken items. Also keep in mind that the rear suspension greatly affects the attitude of the front corners on which it pushes.

DiscoBlanco 11-05-2012 11:59 AM

Both good points.... They are handed (Aren't they Brett?) ;) Why they are is a mystery to me... Is there really that much bias from one side to the other? Or are they figuring in the weight of the driver?

I was changing springs for performance and lift; which is why I bought the Disco to begin with (i.e. I intended this to be a "wheeler", not a daily driver.")

When I took out the springs and stood them up on the floor, the front passenger spring was bent almost 45 degrees... I thought it was odd that the one spring would fail like that unless it was involved in a pretty good accident (no other evidence of that). In my experience with past (not rover) vehicles, pairs of springs or other components typically failed at about the same rate.

Jake1996D1 11-05-2012 12:32 PM

Gangsta lean comes standard on most rovers

fishEH 11-05-2012 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by DiscoBlanco (Post 355223)
Both good points.... They are handed (Aren't they Brett?) ;) Why they are is a mystery to me... Is there really that much bias from one side to the other? Or are they figuring in the weight of the driver?

I was changing springs for performance and lift; which is why I bought the Disco to begin with (i.e. I intended this to be a "wheeler", not a daily driver.")

When I took out the springs and stood them up on the floor, the front passenger spring was bent almost 45 degrees... I thought it was odd that the one spring would fail like that unless it was involved in a pretty good accident (no other evidence of that). In my experience with past (not rover) vehicles, pairs of springs or other components typically failed at about the same rate.

Terra Firma springs are driver/passenger side specific.
Also some springs may appear to "bend" on one side. On my brand new 3" RTE fronts, the passenger spring looked like it was bowing towards the front and indeed it was. The solution was to spin the spring 180*. It has to do with how the spring is cut.The gapped part of the bottom of the spring was facing forward. That combined with the forward slant of the lower spring perch(due to the axle dropping) gave the spring a forward bow, like this ), when looking at the profile from the passenger side.
I spun it 180* along with my Ballistic Fab lower spring retainer and now it looks like this: l :)

wheelgarage 11-06-2012 05:16 PM

Fish....

This one?

Coil spring plate

fishEH 11-06-2012 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by wheelgarage (Post 355491)
Fish....

This one?

Coil spring plate

Actually these.
Their picture is jacked up but the drawing shows the measurements.