Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Long range comfort: let's talk suspension options

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 01:28 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fishEH
And the best my D1 on RTE springs ever rode was with 4 guys in it, all our camping gear, and 150#'s of mountain bikes hanging off the back. It rode like a Cadillac then!!
My other D1 with OME springs rides much nicer down the road, but won't ride as well packed to the gills. Everything is a trade-off.
X2. As stated, you have to figure what level of trade off you are willing to accept and what realistically you are going to do with the vehicle when it comes to off road and expedition. From there you can plan accordingly.

Old 01-11-2015, 02:03 PM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Found it. You have to grind the caliper at one of the bolts.
I opted to go with 1.5" x .25" wall DOM, custom Rover thread tube adapters, and standard Rover TRE'S.
Ouch! Might just stick with the rover tre's then! By tube adaptors, like a threaded sleeve that went inside the DOM? Happen to know the thread size/pitch?

And the best my D1 on RTE springs ever rode was with 4 guys in it, all our camping gear, and 150#'s of mountain bikes hanging off the back. It rode like a Cadillac then!!
My other D1 with OME springs rides much nicer down the road, but won't ride as well packed to the gills. Everything is a trade-off.
Originally Posted by TOM R
I don't think I have seen anyone praise the ride comfort on Rte or tf springs, just saying...
You also might not have enough weight on them , like driving an old dually empty rides like a brick ad jumps all over the road loaded down rides like a dream

What shocks are you running?
Just what I'm thinking - with the heavy diesel block and front armor the truck might just ride like a dream. Because yes, right now it rides like a unloaded super duty...

Then I'll have to put something heavy in the back to even it out. :roll eyes:

Shocks are bilstiens. I'll check the model number, I just have the rears installed right now, broke my strap wrench and never finished the job.

Old 01-11-2015, 03:10 PM
Baja
Received 227 Likes on 197 Posts

i dont use em so i am sure others can chime in here but i am thinking with all the weight you may need the remote reisvoir type shocks that you can tune the valves, dampening alot of weight can heat that fluid fast leading to shock fade, guys seem to like the fox better then bilstien in that type shock

as far as weighing the rear down theres bumper with swing carrier, mount the hi lift on the spare , roof rack , sliders , steel gas tank skid, frame skids to protect rear radius arm frame mounts, transfer case skid

think weighing it downs the easy part spending the money for that heavy stuff not so much lol

Old 01-11-2015, 03:38 PM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

remote resis aren't necessary unless you are doing high speed off road stuff. you'll never heat a shock up enough to warrant one on the road. you can tune any rebuildable 2.0 emulsion and IFP shocks, neither of which are a resi shock.

Old 03-03-2015, 01:37 PM
Mudding

Would it be daft of me to consider going back to the cushiest lifting springs I can find and supplementing them with load leveling airbags and the stock P38 pump+leveling computers? Could even cross link them with a manual valve for an "off road" setting much like how the Terrain Response rovers are configured...?

I'm sick of the teeth rattling ride and since the primary purpose of this rig is extreme duration overlanding and not any sort of crazy crawling I want it to ride like the luxury 4x4 that it is (just with the ability to sling ~800# engine up front)!

Last edited by kingsly; 03-03-2015 at 03:49 PM.
Old 03-03-2015, 02:16 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Stock D1 springs rates:
Front: 133lb/in rate and 420mm length
Rear: 208 lb/in rate and 390mm length

If you want the same ride you need to measure the percent wight increase of the front and rear axles over stock.

Example: If the front axle saw an increase of 10% weight over stock, you'd look for springs with about 146.3 lb/in rate and 420mm length. This will give you the same ride at stock height. If you want lift as well then you'll need longer springs at the same rate. To counter additional roll due to liffted COG you might want to add some additional stiffness (rate).

In reality, there's only so many springs to choose from so you'll have to compromise. Look at the OME, Terrafirma, and bearmach catalog for options. Front stock and aftermarket springs for FJ80 Land Cruisers will fit front and rear of a Discovery.

OME/Terrafirma Light, Medium, and Heavy duty ratings are BS IMHO. First of all, TF Light = OME Med, TF Med = OME HD, and TF HD = OME Extra-HD. The springs are good, but it's an oversimplified rating system.

Old 03-03-2015, 03:57 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by EricTyrrell
[...]
Thanks for all the info, that really helps! I'll have to do some math then and figure out what the spring rates I'd be needing to get back to a stock ride quality. And I'll definitely look into Fj80 springs!

So right now I have what I was told were rte HD's. The coils are ~5/8" (maybe more) thick and theres no suspension give whatsoever.

Anyone know what the rates are for those springs?

the air suspension is still intriguing to me...

Old 03-03-2015, 04:28 PM
Baja
Received 227 Likes on 197 Posts

I WOULD imagine those are made for full on crazy weight, winch ,hd bumper , hd brushguard, steering skid, exhaust skid, fuel tank skid, sliders, frame skids, rear hd bumper, roof rack, and all the gear you can possibly stuff on and in the rig, thats why is rides bad
i do not see any specs on thier site
get the engine in yet?

fish i think my ome hd ride nice as is and better loaded

Last edited by TOM R; 03-03-2015 at 04:34 PM.
Old 03-03-2015, 04:40 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by kingsly
Thanks for all the info, that really helps! I'll have to do some math then and figure out what the spring rates I'd be needing to get back to a stock ride quality. And I'll definitely look into Fj80 springs!

So right now I have what I was told were rte HD's. The coils are ~5/8" (maybe more) thick and theres no suspension give whatsoever.

Anyone know what the rates are for those springs?

the air suspension is still intriguing to me...
land rover spring specifications
PART
http://www.arbusa.com/Uploads/PDF/on...de_current.pdf
Page 5 - Performance Catalogues_for Flicker
Terrafirma - Terrafirma Coil Springs

Enjoy your research

Old 03-03-2015, 04:44 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by TOM R
I WOULD imagine those are made for full on crazy weight, winch ,hd bumper , hd brushguard, steering skid, exhaust skid, fuel tank skid, sliders, frame skids, rear hd bumper, roof rack, and all the gear you can possibly stuff on and in the rig, thats why is rides bad
i do not see any specs on thier site
get the engine in yet?

fish i think my ome hd ride nice as is and better loaded
I have TF Med, which is the same as your OME HD, and it rides harsh even with people, equipment, and fully armored. Of course this is just an opinion, but I'll soon be completely changing the setup.

Quick Reply: Long range comfort: let's talk suspension options