Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery I (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/)
-   -   Many Questions in 1 Thread (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/many-questions-1-thread-38102/)

calebbo 02-07-2011 09:59 PM

Many Questions in 1 Thread

Question 1 interior
Would herculining the interior of our vehicle mess up the insulation I guess? I was talking to a Rhino liner guy in town asking him if he does interior and he said he does but wondered if I really wanted to. He told me it might make my vehicle extremely cold inside during the winter since I am losing foaming or whatever. Just wondering since the guy seemed lost on his own words, and I trust you guys with experience :)

Question 2 Towing
My Rover, Claire, doesn't have tow hooks.. Should I just buy the bolt on 10,000 pound max pull weight ones at a trailer transport company and find a place to bolt them on? (Under the front bumper somewhere is where I imagine I would find pre-existing holes right?)

Question 3 Off-Road
I obviously want to take Claire off roading, but where do I start? Not for awhile because I still am doing mechanical repairs but I just wanted to know where to start. Tires,I assume, for all terrain or mud tires? What about the diff? From what I understand they lock but only allow wheel spin to the path of least resistance (What if my tire is in the air? Am I screwed?) Should I get locking diffs from Detroit or ARB, I think that's the company.

Question 4 Locking Diff
I put the truck on a lift, had a friend wiggle the CDL shifter and I could not find the linkage to shoot with my PB Blaster, is it on top of the transfer case? I see that, but I can't see anything near or around it resembling linkage. My Auto Shop teacher said I need to pull off the gaitor shroud around the shifter and spray from the top down. Insight? I know Danny has pics in his album but I can't load it on my computer, schools and for some reason it won't load the pics.

Question 5 Money
Hope you guys don't mind answering this, if you do sorry. But how much have you guys spent on your vehicle so far? I mean I'm not complaining because I LOVE her to death, it's like always a new adventure to travel and learn and it's so much fun. So far this is what I've done. She came with a new paint job and springs (stock I believe). I wanted a lift, but people on here think she is already lifted so I am holding off. :D
60k Service (most) - $300
Front Diff - $140
Tires - $550

upcoming:
Wheel Bearings and track rod ends - (estimated) $300

Question 6 Seating
If I have a 1995 Disco 1, can I fit a 1996+ front two electric seats? I have nasty leather manual ones that need to be replaced, and I can't find any for my year. So I found some '96 electric seats for sale on one of the websites I used for like $550.

Spencerfitch 02-07-2011 11:03 PM

#1 You wont notice a difference in temperature.

#2 you probably could people like to use a certain camel trophy one that is overprices on our trucks. I think there called jate hooks or rings? ROVERPARTS should sell it. A smitty bilt reciever shackle is good for the rear [check amazon]

#3 Biggest and best money spent is tires. I dont care what nobody says, a/t s dont perform in the mud. Mud tires barely make it in the mud, if its sticky and your not spinning the mud off the m/t you might as well have slicks.. Let me just say street tires are closer to a/t on dry offroading than a/t are to mud tires in wet condition. AKA mud tires are a must for MUD.

If your CENTER DIFFERENTIAL IS LOCKED you will have power going to a minimum of two wheels one in front and one in back. This would require one tire in the front off the ground and one tire in the back off the ground. Highly uncommon.

#4 dont know

#5 mine was 4,000$ with 95k.
150$ plane ticket and 150$ worth of gas to get it home
TPS 90$
IACV 45$
HEAD GASKET [NOT NESSISARY] 200$
ALTERNATOR 15
WATERPUMP 100
TIRES 720
ECU+SEC 15$
MISC 40$

hilltoppersx 02-08-2011 05:13 AM

I'm about to use some 3m rubberized undercoating on my interior. mainly because i pull a lot of euipment in and out. shoudl be done in a week or two depending on weather. i will let you know how it goes, but my understanding is it should make no difference especially if you use something like an undercoating which is made to sound dampen and insulate.

+1 with the smittybilt shackle and reciever best $30 you can spend

+1 on some M/T's if you are on a budget i reccomend www.treadwright.com

antichrist 02-08-2011 06:27 AM

#1 - People have. The problem I've found with spray on things like that is they eventually separate from the metal and allow moisture in and then hold it there, leading to really bad rust where you can't see it until it's too late.

#2 - hooks are dangerous.
For the rear a receiver shackle as other have mentioned with a Crosby or Columbus McKinnon shackle.
For the front JATE (Joint Air Transport Establishment, part of the British MoD) rings. Be sure you get the forged ones, not cheap knock-offs.
You'll want two and connect to both using a bridle.
Don't use the welded ones.

http://www.dap-inc.com/acc/acc-img/w...te-ring-hd.jpg

#3 - Yes, tires are the first investment you should make. My suggestion is always, nearly always, invest in a winch before lockers. Given where you live that's definitely my suggestion. Lockers can get you further than your open diffs, but when you do get stuck it will be even worse and then you'll need a winch anyway.
Hook up with a local club.

#4 - The linkage is on the right side of the gearbox between the gearbox and the front wheel drive unit. Look in the overhaul manual and you'll see it.

#5 - I've been driving and working on Land Rovers for over 35 years, I don't want to think about how much I've spent.

DiscoIIBrandon 02-08-2011 07:06 AM

To answer questions 3 & 4 - take her out and see what she can do stock, FIRST!

I just did a couple of weekends ago, and even though I've seen the videos I was totally impressed and my idea of what I wanted or "needed" for more off-roading has changed. Don't get me wrong, I still want all the goodies, but I now know that they can wait and I can still go out and have tons of fun on old saggy stock suspension and street tires...though I'd still want to go with someone with a winch just in case!

thehun 02-08-2011 08:59 AM

On a used car you will spend money no matter what...it all depends on how well it was taken care of before

tweakrover 02-08-2011 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx (Post 225391)
I'm about to use some 3m rubberized undercoating on my interior. mainly because i pull a lot of euipment in and out. shoudl be done in a week or two depending on weather. i will let you know how it goes, but my understanding is it should make no difference especially if you use something like an undercoating which is made to sound dampen and insulate.

+1 with the smittybilt shackle and reciever best $30 you can spend

+1 on some M/T's if you are on a budget i reccomend www.treadwright.com

I wouldn't use undercoating, I did in a trunk one time and it doesn't harden it stays like a tar coating, its made for under a vehicle where nothing is sitting on it. I have used the roll on bed liners for different projects and it works really great. It might seem more expensive but those $6 cans add up. and dont use the spray bed liners in a can they are like spray paint with sand in them.

hilltoppersx 02-08-2011 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by tweakrover (Post 225428)
I wouldn't use undercoating, I did in a trunk one time and it doesn't harden it stays like a tar coating, its made for under a vehicle where nothing is sitting on it. I have used the roll on bed liners for different projects and it works really great. It might seem more expensive but those $6 cans add up. and dont use the spray bed liners in a can they are like spray paint with sand in them.

thanks for the heads up. i was planning on testing it on some scrap. if worse comes to worse ill use it on the underside of my truck! ill have to do some more research, as i would like something with more rubber and grip to it than a bedliner. and of course not breaking the bank.

Chris-bob 02-08-2011 11:13 AM

Question 1 interior
Would herculining the interior of our vehicle mess up the insulation I guess? You lose little to no insulation value. Why he said that is because you can feel the cold easier. No fluffy, soft carpet to make it appear warmer. Just like carpet on a concrete floor. Concrete and carpet are both the same temp, but the carpet feels warmer because it doesn't cunduct heat as eaasily.
Question 2 Towing
My Rover, Claire, doesn't have tow hooks.. Should I just buy the bolt on 10,000 pound max pull weight ones at a trailer transport company and find a place to bolt them on? Use shackles. Hooks are not safe.
Question 3 Off-Road
I obviously want to take Claire off roading, but where do I start? Good tires. No bald street tires. Simple A/T tires are a great place to start until you are familiar with Claire's personality and capabilities.
Question 4 Locking Diff
I put the truck on a lift, had a friend wiggle the CDL shifter and I could not find the linkage to shoot with my PB Blaster, is it on top of the transfer case? What Antichrist said.
Question 5 Money
Hope you guys don't mind answering this, if you do sorry. But how much have you guys spent on your vehicle so far?
$1k for the Disco. $40 for the IACV. $24 for wheel bearings. $160ish for other stuff.
Question 6 Seating
If I have a 1995 Disco 1, can I fit a 1996+ front two electric seats? I think someone in another thread asked this and was told yes.

Danny Lee 97 Disco 02-08-2011 11:34 AM

When I was in the US Navy, one assignment I had at sea was working on a corrosion control team for our squadron's aircraft. We inspoected the damn things with magnifying glasses. Any bubbled up paint was ground down to bare metal, the area was spot treated with alodine chemical treatment, then primed, sealed and painted.

The sealant used was a two part RTV that was mixed then thinned to spraying consistency and applied with a Binks air gun, the same one as used for both the paint and the primer. The entire airplane had a thin layer of RTV between the primer and the aircraft paint.