Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Master Debaters...come one, come all!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 09:19 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cosmic88
'94 - '95 were the very best years of production for Land Rover.
Following your original statement; I have to agree. RRC and Defender are great. I would kill to get my hands on a good RRC.

But I have to disagree concerning the Disco. I enjoy my 98 very much. I believe the 94-95 did not include as much equipment as the later years. The 95 I bought for parts has manual non heated leather seats, and they seem to be less comfortable, base sound system with no CD changer.

Having the ECM in the cabin like the 14CUX doesn't make it waterproof or rustproof. Floorboards have a tendency to rust on those trucks...

Wasn't the GEMS supposed to increase fuel efficiency?

Old 03-08-2011, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

--- Jafir, when you say "my friend had..." it is hard to take anything after that seriously. And quite obviously your "friend" did not know how to properly maintain the simplest form of ignition in a car. You say it is horrible as a blanket statement without ever having maintained one and without any sort of qualification other than "my ding-dong friend used to own a RRC and had no idea how to fix it so that means they are all "horrible""....

Oh I do love a good natured joust...
Well because I'm a nice guy, I help my friends and they help me.

So yeah, I have maintained one, and they are junk. The only way to get them to run somewhat reliably, using original parts, is to use a $500 upgrade that moves the ignition module to hope it doesn't fry in the heat.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:20 AM
Winching
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jafir
Well because I'm a nice guy, I help my friends and they help me.

So yeah, I have maintained one, and they are junk. The only way to get them to run somewhat reliably, using original parts, is to use a $500 upgrade that moves the ignition module to hope it doesn't fry in the heat.
Oh I did get a good laugh from that one just now... thank you sir. Do tell me more about this $500 bit of wizzardry.... I'll be sure to forward this on to the hundreds of thousands of Rover owners across the entire globe who have been suffering silently up until now.

These absolute statements like ONLY and THEY ARE JUNK tend to diminish the validity of your argument.

Last edited by Cosmic88; 03-08-2011 at 10:23 AM.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator
Old 03-08-2011, 10:57 AM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, since my '96 DI was manufactured in '95 and has a 4.0...all I need to do now is rip out the GEMS and throw a dizzy on her.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:25 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will throw in another angle. FJ40 <=> D90? I have done a frame off resto of a 69' FJ40 and put in a 75 2F motor (Chevy 250 basically).

But my point being is that I have worked now on my 98 DI and can only compare the amount of work that it takes to work on the DI to the FJ40. I must say using an HEI Distrib in the 2F motor and only having a very limited amount of vacuum hoses the older engine/drive train was way more simpler.

Also the springs compared to leafs. Hmm springs are a much better ride in the DI especially after the terrafirma lift. But the 4" leaf spring lift was a bit easier to install I think. I miss my FJ40 :-( but do like my 98 DI

Old 03-08-2011, 11:37 AM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I for one, detest computer controlled crap. There is nothing wrong with good old fashioned mechanical controls, or even electronic controls as long as a central ECM is never added.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:51 AM
Winching
Default AMEN and HOLY CRAP!

I sold my RHD FJ 40 about a year ago to focus (money and time) on Rovers so I know what ya mean about those old inline engines with mechanical spark! I love em. Point in fact... my '66 with the original 2.25 is still bangin' away strong and reliable. Something tells me it'll still start right up in another 20years, not because of some magical Land Rover Fairy, but because I will continue to maintain it properly.

Here is the holy CRAP part... they are charging $520 for a small bracket, elongated wires and some zip ties... CRAP!!! I say... The module alone is $73.

I relocated mine a long while ago and it sure was NOT $500 + lol

wow

Old 03-08-2011, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator

Here is the holy CRAP part... they are charging $520 for a small bracket, elongated wires and some zip ties... CRAP!!! I say... The module alone is $73.

I relocated mine a long while ago and it sure was NOT $500 + lol

wow
Yeah. My friend said the same thing. He converted his RRC to MSD instead of relocating the stock module. Much cheaper than $500. I will say it ran like a champ after that.

Old 03-08-2011, 12:41 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by jafir
Yeah. My friend said the same thing. He converted his RRC to MSD instead of relocating the stock module. Much cheaper than $500. I will say it ran like a champ after that.
The tide has turned now huh? his "piece of junk" ran like a champ.... it is becoming clear now...

I think your "my friend" sharade has gone unchecked long enough! Admit it sir, you are a closet Dizzy lover! It's ok, you are among friends, we can help you with your problem but only if you take the first step.

Say it with me, " Old Skool Rovers are the best!"

Now that we have you in a moment of vulnerability I think Brad (ColoDisco) wants to have a word with you about oil...

Quick Reply: Master Debaters...come one, come all!