Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery I (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/)
-   -   Master Debaters...come one, come all! (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/master-debaters-come-one-come-all-38980/)

jafir 03-08-2011 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Cosmic88 (Post 231858)

Now that we have you in a moment of vulnerability I think Brad (ColoDisco) wants to have a word with you about oil...

LOL. :eek:

I'd prefer a disco tdi.... then I don't have to worry about the dizzy OR what brand of plugs & wires to use.

antichrist 03-08-2011 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Cosmic88 (Post 231789)
Tom do you have a good source for 5 spds? I may have to end up shipping one from the motherland but that is my last choice...

Sorry, no. If you want a K or L suffix, then yeah, you'll probably have to get it from the UK. I don't know if any were in vehicles here.

antichrist 03-08-2011 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Cosmic88 (Post 231842)
Here is the holy CRAP part... they are charging $520 for a small bracket, elongated wires and some zip ties... CRAP!!!

LOL I was thinking the same thing when I saw it.

Danny Lee 97 Disco 03-08-2011 05:04 PM

I would like to have one of the RR LWB's also. I agree about the simpler the better and the ability to do roadside repairs far outwighs the quality of the sound system or seats being heated or whatever.

Spike555 03-08-2011 08:00 PM

Man am I late to the party or what? Damn work...

I have heated seats, never use them because my @ss is hot enough.
Power seats, never move them either, my wife and I are about the same height.
My GEMS has never let me down yet, however it is as far advanced in computer controlled anything I want to get.
Computers are for looking up naked women and car parts.
I drive a diesel everyday, no complaints there.

And to answer the question asked earlier, no, the GEMS was to comply with the OBDII standard and increase horse power not fuel economy.
All Land Rovers sold in the US up until the LR3 all get about the same MPG city/hwy, wheather it's the 3.9 (w/dizzy), 4.0 (GEMS & Bosch) ,4.2 (dizzy)or the piece of crap boat anchor 4.6 (Bosch)they are all rated around 13 city and 17 hwy, the 5-speeds rated about 1mpg better.
And the Bosch was also used to increase horse power.

Rover Chris 03-08-2011 08:12 PM

well I would love to master(de)bate with you guys but I have only owned a 97 so I can't really join in, so I guess I will just master(de)bate by myself! :(

Spike555 03-08-2011 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Rover Chris (Post 231985)
well I would love to master(de)bate with you guys but I have only owned a 97 so I can't really join in, so I guess I will just master(de)bate by myself! :(

But you can think of a '95 while you do it, thats the beauty of it, it can be any year you want...and it knows exactly what trails you like.

Cosmic88 03-08-2011 08:15 PM

and the weinner is...

Originally Posted by Rover Chris (Post 231985)

FINALLY! Chris gets it... that took forever :cool:

DiscoIIBrandon 03-08-2011 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Cosmic88 (Post 231988)
FINALLY! Chris gets it... that took forever :cool:

All these old people with their "class" and "sophistication"...

On topic, I can't argue for or against because I don't have any experience in the 94-95 range, but I CAN say that I'd be just fine with less electronically controlled elements thanks to my DII.

P.S. Hoping to dip into the electronically inept department with a '90 RRC soon...
You hear that Cosmo? You're going to be summoned to Lakeland soon, just know that you'll never leave thirsty. (sounded better in my head)

ara25 03-08-2011 09:44 PM

i recently bought a '94 Discovery and was hopefully optimistic about its potential (my first rover) till i had an alarm issue (see 1994 disco partially immobilised) so i am a bitter right now but that might also be because of the giant i told you so speach the old lady so joyously blessed my ears with... should i be on the lookout for any other pesky electrical problems... besides that i am pleased with the motor and 4x4 setup can't wait to get off road...that is if i can overcome the alarm issue