Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Messed up royaly!!! ECM wet, truck wont start!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 08:43 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Messed up royaly!!! ECM wet, truck wont start!

I messed up bad guys. I was driving my Disco 1 in a shallow pond. She was driving perfectly in and out of the pond but I got a little too confident and tried pushing her deeper. The water entered through the right (passenger) side and flooded the cabin. The truck ran for a few seconds and shut off when the water made contact with the ecm. I had to get a buddy to help tow me out of the pond. I took out the glove box and let her air dry for three days. She turns but does not start. When I attempt to start her, I hear the relays clicking and I can smell fresh gas being injected into the engine but no spark from the plug wires. I also posted pictures of two sets of cables that were ripped when I lifted up the carpet, not sure if these could be part of the problem. The cables come from under the passenger seat. What do you guys think the problem is and how can I fix it? Thanks in advance.

Attached Thumbnails Messed up royaly!!! ECM wet, truck wont start!-img_1925.jpg   Messed up royaly!!! ECM wet, truck wont start!-img_1928.jpg   Messed up royaly!!! ECM wet, truck wont start!-img_1930.jpg   Messed up royaly!!! ECM wet, truck wont start!-img_1932.jpg   Messed up royaly!!! ECM wet, truck wont start!-img_1986.jpg  

Messed up royaly!!! ECM wet, truck wont start!-img_1987.jpg  
Old 12-12-2016, 10:18 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

well...on your 96, the ecm is under the hood over the passenger side wheelwell......un hook the battery, remove the ecu and remove the covers let it dry out or carefully use a hair dryer to help, seal it back up.............
not sure what wires you are showing that were cut

you might also have some relays that arent working now too

Old 12-15-2016, 08:43 AM
Drifting

Hey XCELLER8, are you sure the ecm is in the engine bay and not behind the glove compartment? How could I find the relay for the ignition coils? The motor is injecting gas (I smell it) but I'm not getting any spark from the spark plug wires. Thanks

Originally Posted by XCELLER8
well...on your 96, the ecm is under the hood over the passenger side wheelwell......un hook the battery, remove the ecu and remove the covers let it dry out or carefully use a hair dryer to help, seal it back up.............
not sure what wires you are showing that were cut

you might also have some relays that arent working now too

Old 12-15-2016, 09:32 AM
TReK
Received 471 Likes on 388 Posts

go to this link. https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...02/#post536729

follow the path to the electrical troubleshooting manual

In fact, everyone with a D1 should be well familiar with that entire thread. It is the most useful source of information on D1's you will find anywhere on the interweb.

The following users liked this post:
hcoll (12-15-2016)
Old 12-15-2016, 06:16 PM
Drifting

The two sets of cables I showed in the pics were connected to the security device under the passenger seat. Just for anyone who wants to know.

Old 12-15-2016, 07:23 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 401 Likes on 385 Posts

Security device under the passenger seat? That's news to me, the alarm is up behind the glove box on a rack. The CD Changer is under the passenger seat, not very security device like. Yes the ECM is between the hood hinge and washer tank on passenger side of engine bay. There are at least eight relays where you dipped low side in the drink and all the important crap is behind the glove box too. No fire of the sparklers is crank sensor related, has your bell housing drained? The alarm wouldn't allow the starter to turn the motor so no issue there. Once you find the ECM split the lids off it and dry it out. There isn't a drain so water has no place to go. The longer water sits in it and you keep trying to start it the more the circuit trace shorts will accumulate.

Old 12-16-2016, 01:24 PM
Drifting

Lol, you're right about the "security device" under the passenger seat. It is an Audiovox unit. Not sure what it is but I'm assuming it has to do with the speakers. I found the ecu as well. I opened it up and dried it out in the sun. It had a lot of white crystallized material on it. I cleaned it with compressed air as much as I could. I plug it back in but still no spark. What now???

BTW, would anyone be interested in any Disco 1 parts, just in case I have to scrap her? I found out that she is an SE7.

Originally Posted by ihscouts
Security device under the passenger seat? That's news to me, the alarm is up behind the glove box on a rack. The CD Changer is under the passenger seat, not very security device like. Yes the ECM is between the hood hinge and washer tank on passenger side of engine bay. There are at least eight relays where you dipped low side in the drink and all the important crap is behind the glove box too. No fire of the sparklers is crank sensor related, has your bell housing drained? The alarm wouldn't allow the starter to turn the motor so no issue there. Once you find the ECM split the lids off it and dry it out. There isn't a drain so water has no place to go. The longer water sits in it and you keep trying to start it the more the circuit trace shorts will accumulate.

Old 12-18-2016, 12:05 PM
Drifting

Mechanic stopped by yesterday. Not sure what he did but 5 minutes and $50 later he started my Disco. All I saw was when he was messing around with my coil packs and spark plugs. He said my HG is good but my viscous fan definitely needs replacement. Can a VF really drop engine temps by 30 degrees? She runs at 235.

Old 12-19-2016, 04:19 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 226 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by hcoll
Mechanic stopped by yesterday. Not sure what he did but 5 minutes and $50 later he started my Disco. All I saw was when he was messing around with my coil packs and spark plugs. He said my HG is good but my viscous fan definitely needs replacement. Can a VF really drop engine temps by 30 degrees? She runs at 235.
If the viscous is faulty then replaced with a new one yes, i was offroading Saturday and my fan and system is working so well that my temp dropped down to just above C on the gauge.

Old 12-19-2016, 09:13 AM
TReK
Received 471 Likes on 388 Posts

235 is far too high for most people.
Yes, a new fan clutch will help. Not sure it will get you down to 190, but it will help.
This one should help...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C3F31G...I3F7AF1B4VV8ZK

Also should probably run a 180 thermostat...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C823VE...=IOYY24R1D0TA2

Radiator may need some help or to be replaced, but that is a later step.

Quick Reply: Messed up royaly!!! ECM wet, truck wont start!