Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Morning Starting Issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 10:12 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Leaky fuel lines sounds like a nightmare. Hopefully that isn't the case with mine. It only has 75K on it, but it is a Rover, so I guess I won't be surprised if that is the problem.

I don't want to sell it; wife wants me to, but I don't.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:14 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Look at the pics on my photo album page.

One other possibility I forgot to mention, the fuel filler tube from the filler neck down to the gas tank had cracked severely on mine, like dryrot. I replaced it as well on mine. You can see it real good from underneath, so take a look at yours.

When you crack open your gas cap, does it hiss real good? It should if your system holds pressure. If the hiss is weak or not there, you got a pressure leak of some sort in your fuel system.

At the time, I did not know that you could read the pressure at the fuel rail with a dial type tire guage. Still have not tried it to see what I got, but everytime I gas up I know I got good pressure just from the HISSSSSSSS.

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 09-09-2010 at 10:35 PM.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:01 AM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The overnight leakdown would make sense. If you think about it it sits overnight, it is cool, vapor condenses, no pressure in the morning. But it sits for a long time during the day where temps don't drop, vapors don't compress, still have pressure when you start it after work. This theory also explains why it only started recently with cooler night temps. I would do like danny lee said and start looking for some hairline cracks in the system. Seems the most likely culprit as of now. Good luck.

Old 09-10-2010, 11:29 AM
Rock Crawling

No hiss when opening the gas cap this morning, but it also started on the first try with only a little hesitation getting to normal idle. Sigh...

Also, after driving around for about 15 minutes, again, no hiss when opening the gas cap. Hmmm...

Worn gas cap? That happened to my wife's 6-year-old Saab.

I need to hit the hardware store and invest in the right kind of tire gauge to read the pressure in the system as suggested.

Old 09-10-2010, 12:12 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Are you loosing any coolant?

Have you tried turning the key on and waiting 5 seconds and then repeating it 3 more times?

If you don't drive it much, the fuel could be going stale.

Old 09-10-2010, 12:27 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Here's a shot in the dark BUT...

It could be your iacv. Not activating. If your iacv is stuck in warm mode a cold start will idle really low, and it may die. It could be bad and dirty. When you first start the vehicle when cold the tps needs to open more to proide more air. And im not sure WHY this is but it idles lower when cold than warm if your iacv is dead.

Old 09-11-2010, 06:23 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by LeakyDisco
Leaky fuel lines sounds like a nightmare. Hopefully that isn't the case with mine. It only has 75K on it, but it is a Rover, so I guess I won't be surprised if that is the problem.

I don't want to sell it; wife wants me to, but I don't.
That makes no difference, it is still 13 yrs old.
When was the last time it got new plugs and wires?

Old 09-11-2010, 07:55 PM
Rock Crawling

Replaced fuel filter, removed iacv, sprayed it with throttle body cleaner (it was a little gunky). Seems a bit better, but tomorrow morning will tell. I'm not entirely convinced it isn't going bad and will need to be replaced, but we'll see.

I also checked the fuel lines. They all look clean, rust and leak free.

To Spike: I replaced the wires and plugs (Bosch Platinum) about two months ago.

Old 09-11-2010, 08:18 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Did you look at the fuel feed line from the filler door to the tank?

If you got no hiss, you got a leak somewhere or very weak pump. With my new filler hose and new fuel pump assembly I get one hell of a hiss anytime I crack open the gas cap. Lasts for several seconds. But I also have a new cap, due to driving off and leaving mine behind one day.

I don't know how the IACV could contribute to that, but I don't know everything so.................................

Old 09-11-2010, 08:40 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey leaky, I just noticed your sig. My wife has an '03 Saab 9-3 Linear. Sorry to be off subject, I just noticed it and thought I would throw that out there. My wife loves hers. Thank God it has ran every time my Disco has grenaded. Have the jeep now too.

Quick Reply: Morning Starting Issue