Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Morning Starting Issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 02:03 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I agree that every ones experience is different and that there is more than one right way and many wrong ways but I do agree with you not to agree on any issue with anyone unless they agree with me in which case I will not disagree unless I want to but then I may agree to disagree which in fact may be wrong unless it is right.
Agreed?

Old 09-19-2010, 03:51 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
I agree that every ones experience is different and that there is more than one right way and many wrong ways but I do agree with you not to agree on any issue with anyone unless they agree with me in which case I will not disagree unless I want to but then I may agree to disagree which in fact may be wrong unless it is right.
Agreed?
Whoa! My head just exploded Spike.

Old 09-19-2010, 03:52 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had my tank replaced with the recall, before I had no hiss now i do, the gas cap has a valve to let air in but I think it wont open til there is a certain amount of vacuum in the tank. so depending on temp there may or may not be any vacuum in the tank as gas expands and contracts.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:44 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Pre-AEl may hiss. Post will not. That is what AEL is. It takes the excess fuel vapor pressure and burns it through the combustion. That way it isn't vented out when you fill up.

You get full fuel pressure at the rail from the pump. That full pressure is bled off by the regulator which is controlled by vacuum. The more vacuum you have, the more it closes, the more fuel pressure you have.

I have never had a hiss.

Old 09-20-2010, 02:45 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Guys,

My 97 is a Pre AEL and it definitely has a hiss.

The following is imprinted on my new Stant brand Gas Cap from Advanced Auto for the 4.0 Pre-ael discovery " Caution: Rotate Cap one-half turn to vent. After Hissing Stops, Continue Turning To Remove"

I did not say the theory of operation is that it works by presurrizing the tank as some of your responses regarding aircraft would imply.

My does definitely hiss, which I believe is a side effect of the gasoline expanding with temperature increases coupled with the fuel pump operating pressure and the unit basically being a closed loop system with no apparent pressure bleed off mechanism that I am aware of. I don't see how it could do anything other than develop some pressure differential above ambient.

The warning on my gas cap reinforces my belief. It would be interesting to crank it up measure, the fuel pressure at the under the hood valve, then shut it off and open the cap to see if that drops the pressure at the check point.

I don't think the strong hiss on mine is a problem. I would be more concerned if it did not hiss as before when the top of the old fuel pump assembly was severely cracked.

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 09-20-2010 at 07:22 PM.
Old 09-20-2010, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by okdiscoguy
Pre-AEl may hiss. Post will not. That is what AEL is. It takes the excess fuel vapor pressure and burns it through the combustion. That way it isn't vented out when you fill up.

You get full fuel pressure at the rail from the pump. That full pressure is bled off by the regulator which is controlled by vacuum. The more vacuum you have, the more it closes, the more fuel pressure you have.

I have never had a hiss.
Would you get steady pressure there with the Gas Cap Off?

Old 09-20-2010, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by UpChuck
I really doubt there is any mechanism to make this a pressurized fuel tank. Most aircraft aren't even equipped that way. As the fuel is pumped out of the tank, the volume that the fuel was occupying has to be replaced by air, which ought to be equal to atmospheric pressure. So if your gas cap is hissing when you open it, that may be a bad thing, meaning air is rushing IN, not out. Meaning something isn't allowing your fuel tank to vent correctly.
My parents had an old mini-van that had this problem. We'd be driving down the highway, and the engine would start starving and losing power. Someone would get out, crack the gas cap, HISSSSS, the fuel tank would equalize with atmosphere and off we went...

Enlighten me, which aircraft have you maintained? The late 60's thru late 70's supersonic US Navy Recon Aircraft I worked on had pressurized fuel sytems.

Old 09-20-2010, 07:12 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

5 years powerplants/flightline mechanic AV-8B Harrier (pressurized fuel storage, something like 5 psi if I remember right)
Other than that:
A couple of F-18's, EA-6B's, Cessna's, Cirrus (not sure what the plural of this is), Columbia Lancairs before Cessna bought them and renamed them Corvalis, King Airs, a Piper Malibu, fixed a fuel leak on Bobby Unser's plane once, Learjets (chased fuel leaks on the oldest models, am now helping to develop the newest).
That's the condensed list. I'm an A&P mechanic, licensed pilot, and am in the final semesters of completing my Aerospace Engineering degree.
So no, I'm not just talking out of my a$$.

Old 09-20-2010, 07:26 PM

And you are saying those fuel systems are not pressurized?

OK if you are so smart, why ain't you rich?

Regardless my Disco fuel system hisses when I remove the cap and it would have to be holding pressure to do so.

Old 09-20-2010, 07:30 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really wasn't trying to insult your intelligence or anything Danny. It's just that in my experience and opinion, I don't think that a pressure differential large enough to cause a big hiss when the tank is open is a sign of normal operation for a fuel system as simple as you would expect to find in a truck. That's all.

Quick Reply: Morning Starting Issue