Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Need Help with 96 Disco, Will only go while Diff is in lock

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 11:55 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 96LRD1
I was told when I bought my disco it need a swivel joint and also the part came with this, could replacing this solve the problem? I have been tole so many things, this is the reason I joined this formu bc everything I seen that made sence came from all of you. So I am going down to today and doing all of the above and let you all know what I have found and I hope we can go from there, Thanks to all of you who responded. I hope to get this one repair done so that I can drive it, I was told I would ruin it if I drove it, is this true as well?
by swivel joint you( or they) meant the cv joint, which is inside the swivel ball housing, than yes. Are you aware on how a diff works, its like an old rear wheel drive car with one wheel in the mud, the wheel in the mud just slips. in your case it isn't slipping its just not connected.

Old 01-22-2011, 12:07 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Easiest way of checking is jack one wheel up at a time and spin the wheel and listen for any odd noises or moving free. Will it move in low range unlocked?

Last edited by Long Haul; 01-22-2011 at 12:10 PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:48 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Front Drive Shaft spins with ease. So I do not understand if this is the case when I am in Diff lock does this mean that the front wheels are not pulling? And now we know this what do I need to buy to fix this? will have someone install this just need to know what the problem is if someone can please help me... Thanks

Old 01-22-2011, 04:31 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say you either have a broken cv or your spider gears are busted.

Old 01-22-2011, 06:51 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by 96LRD1
Front Drive Shaft spins with ease. So I do not understand if this is the case when I am in Diff lock does this mean that the front wheels are not pulling? And now we know this what do I need to buy to fix this? will have someone install this just need to know what the problem is if someone can please help me... Thanks
If the front drive shaft spins with ease (while both front tires are on the ground), then, like Long Haul said, you have some kind of problem in your front axle. There is a differential inside that axle, which is designed to let the wheels on each side to turn at different speeds. If the joint at one of the wheels is broken, when you turn the shaft, all force is going to that broken part because there is little resistance. If the differential in the middle of the axle is broken, no power will be going to either wheel.

Old 01-22-2011, 07:06 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

I assume by "swivel joint" it's a CV joint.
Lock the center diff and jack one front wheel off the ground and rotate it. If the front propshaft turns it's the other CV that's blown.
You'll need the new CV, swivel housing grease, hub seal, drive member gasked, stub axle seal and gasket and also I'd replace the hub bearings as well.

I suggest downloading the Rave overhaul manual.
http://www.green-oval.com/data/lr/rave03.iso
You can save it to your hard drive then use something like Daemon Tools to mount the iso as a CD drive.

Last edited by antichrist; 01-22-2011 at 07:09 PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:10 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by antichrist

I suggest downloading the Rave overhaul manual.
http://www.green-oval.com/data/lr/rave03.iso
You can save it to your hard drive then use something like Daemon Tools to mount the iso as a CD drive.
or if you are not a communist Mac user, just download the entire zip file from www.landroverresource.com and open the PDF.

Old 01-22-2011, 08:58 PM
4wd Low

I tested the drive shafts by blocking the tires and putting the diff lock in, underneath i turnrned the rear drive shaft and the vehicle moved, done the same to front and the drive shaft just turned and done the same with the diff lock unlocked. as well as i noticed while underneath a linkage that appered to be going from my cdl to back of the transmission and did not know if this may be the case too, but again tomorrow I will do all the above and let all you know the results and we can go from there. As well as I will put the new part on what they called the swivel joint on and see if that helps. One last thing on my 96 disco they stated it was a Kalahari edition i have a photo uploaded on my profile, can someone please let me know what edition i have it also has Trex Outfitters stickers on it as well as big round Land Rover logos on hood and side. Thanks to all and I hope to upload photos as i get this Disco back in shape I have always wanted a disco and think this one has great potential, and I do have to find the complete headliner, it was taken out, I do not know why, Listen all thank you all so much.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:12 PM
4wd Low

One last question please. I need to get this to my dads farm where he has a garage with everything I need to work on this, The previous owner drove it everywhere for several days while we had the snow, As long as I keep the speed around 40 is this ok to drive there? It is about 12 miles. Thanks

Old 01-23-2011, 12:02 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

do yourself a favor and watch this video, to learn how a diff works, then you will understand why your truck wont move when the diff that is in your transfer case isn't locked. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4JhruinbWc

Quick Reply: Need Help with 96 Disco, Will only go while Diff is in lock