Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Need help with ABS system ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 12:13 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by robster607
And it puts up a heck of a smoke cloud. Can smell the burning brakes, the rotor is very hot. And I'm a little redneck so I went around the whole vehicle and spit on the rotor to see which one was hot. And that's the one that sizzled. Just have to take the time to get back up the and get it back up. Would it be a bad idea to remove my rear brake lines at the abs and the brake calipers and attaching an air hose from a compressor to see if I can get air through the line?

I am a BIG REDNECK. First off, realize you did not buy a "NEW" vehicle.
You bought a vehicle that was manufactured either in late 1995 or early 1996. I also bought a 1997 Discovery manufactured in 1996. They ain't new and they ain't indestructable or any magic super vehicle.

If those are the original calipers, they are probably in pretty bad shape. Mine were. take a look. Also my fuel lines were severely corroded. The brake lines are made from the same material as the fuel lines (steel) just a smaller diameter.

You need to do a thorough visual inspection of the entire underside of the vehicle to determine the extent and magnitude of whatever problems are there.

Also, if one caliper is binding and they are the same age, you are better off replacing them in pairs, not individually. For good prices on the correct part, take a look at Rovers North website.

Good luck with it from a big redneck to a little redneck. Notice the Hawkbill knife in the photos.

"if you spit on your brake rotors to see which calipers is bad, you might be a redneck mechanic." "Here's your sign."

Attached Thumbnails Need help with ABS system ASAP-old-cal-vs-new-cal.jpg   Need help with ABS system ASAP-old-caliper-close-up.jpg   Need help with ABS system ASAP-old-pads-vs-new-2.jpg   Need help with ABS system ASAP-fuel-line-close-up.jpg  

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 01-23-2011 at 12:22 PM.