Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Need help please...

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 06:35 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 401 Likes on 385 Posts

A quick search pulled up this older thread; https://landroverforums.com/forum/ra...-center-30944/

For what its worth you fell in love with a 16 year old vehicle that can be moderately service prone so be prepared. It's not major service, just needy and apparently - foreign. It's not the top service bay queen, that belongs to the Land Rover Freelander.

FWIW, the Wabco ABS unit can be read with a paperclip. It would tell that you have a sensor that's needing a beat down. That would save you $195.98.

As the saying goes about Rovers; If it's not leaking, it's empty.

Last edited by ihscouts; 06-28-2012 at 06:39 AM.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:26 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Smokey
wow, you guys have been a lot of help, thanks so much!

As for the ABS light, they said they can't pass the inspection unless that is turned off. They did diagnose it but I realized that something really does sound fishy because not only are they charging me $2,550.00 overall but they said it might cost extra because there is a leak above the front right tire. They've already told me in the beginning that they do have to replace the axle shaft seal which would cost me $480 including labor but now they're telling me that it could be worse, they don't know what exactly it is but that there's going to be an additional cost for that!

I do have a mechanic that I trust but I've been advised that because it's a Land Rover, that I should take it to a certain shop to get my car fixed. But, would it be okay to take it to an indy shop for brake fluid flush, replacing disc rotors/pads?

With all the work that needs to be done on this vehicle, I'm still debating whether or not I should just sell it but I am willing to put some time and work into this car but talking to this auto shop really is discouraging.

Again, I really appreciate all the help you guys!!

Go Giants!!
Here is the thing, the ABS light is not supposed to go out until you reach 5mph, that is totally normal and it is in the owners manual.
So if you clear the ABS light with the paperclip method and then drive to the inspection place as long as you do not turn it off the light will stay off.
Turn the engine off and then re-start it and the ABS light will come back on until you drive faster than 5mph.
With a small phillips screwdriver you can remove the ABS bulb.

As for the axle seal they need to replace, what seal exactly are they talking about?

Any shop can work on it, shops get scared because it is a Land Rover when in reality these things are as easy to work on as any Chevy or Ford.

Tell us exactly what they said is wrong and what they want to replace and we can point you in the correct and much much cheaper direction.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:14 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
Here is the thing, the ABS light is not supposed to go out until you reach 5mph, that is totally normal and it is in the owners manual.
So if you clear the ABS light with the paperclip method and then drive to the inspection place as long as you do not turn it off the light will stay off.
Turn the engine off and then re-start it and the ABS light will come back on until you drive faster than 5mph.
With a small phillips screwdriver you can remove the ABS bulb.

As for the axle seal they need to replace, what seal exactly are they talking about?

Any shop can work on it, shops get scared because it is a Land Rover when in reality these things are as easy to work on as any Chevy or Ford.

Tell us exactly what they said is wrong and what they want to replace and we can point you in the correct and much much cheaper direction.

What he said, but be sure to use royal purple oil. <-----thats for you spike! FOr the OP just disregard what I said.

learn to work on your landy by yourself. It is easy and the systems are very easy to understand. They have qerks but they are not bad.