Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery I (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/)
-   -   New $20 fuel pump (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/new-%2420-fuel-pump-53083/)

EricTyrrell 09-27-2012 07:27 PM

New $20 fuel pump

2 Attachment(s)
The Airtex E3270 is commonly known to replace D1 and RRC OEM fuel pumps and is available here for $20: NEW GLOBAL AUTOMOTIVE FUEL PUMP & STRAINER KIT GM VEHICLES GA3270 | eBay This does not replace the entire fuel pump assembly, just the pump component which is why it saves so much money over a $200-500 assembly.
Attachment 11945
Above you can see the entire assembly with the pump component circled in red.
Below you can see what comes with the new Airtex pump. I only needed the pump and filter sock.
Attachment 11946
How to install pump:
  1. Remove fuel pump assembly (see RAVE for instruction, it's easy)
  2. Remove bottom cup (red arrow) by releasing tabs on side
  3. Remove pump electrical connector
  4. Remove hose to pump
  5. Withdraw pump
  6. Install filter sock on new pump and reverse removal

Overall the process is very easy. The only way I'd ever buy a new assembly is if something was wrong with the actual assembly. I find the new pump to be much quieter and give the same fuel pressure as the old pump.

Disco Mike 09-27-2012 08:29 PM

Eric, this is a great find, everybody ought to go out and buy one for when their pumps fail.

wheelgarage 09-28-2012 07:54 PM

wow...good find!

ArmyRover 09-28-2012 10:53 PM

Why wait till it dies, I just ordered one as a spare

Walko327 09-29-2012 03:12 AM

Replaced my ael with non ael expecting a code constantly which I have. I tried this route but the fuel lines on the pump tore when trying to disconnect them. What can be used in place since the line will be submerged in fuel? Didn't think rubber gas lines would cut it in there? I would love to put in my original ael with new pump since I still have it laying around any suggestions as to what WILL work for fuel line replacment on pump I remember a similar thread several months ago but a viable solution was never really found all "prototypes" failed as I recall.

ihscouts 09-29-2012 03:19 AM

Hey Bill; 1973 Land Rover Series 3

ihscouts 09-29-2012 03:47 AM

Yeah but is the code for purge cycle not complete? 97 SD - leaking fuel pump/line connection - Land Rover Forums : Land Rover and Range Rover Forum

Walko327 09-29-2012 04:08 AM

Scout if your asking me i cant remember the code off top of my head and want to say yes was incomplete purge valve system due to not having second electrical connector since it's an ael truck with non ael pump. The fuel lines I was discussing are the lines on the pump assembly that are in the tank, the crimped brown/ reddish lines that connect directly to the actual pump motor. I saw the LRO thread but seemed more focused on exterior lines on top of assembly.

EricTyrrell 09-29-2012 09:56 AM

I have an AEL assembly and the in-tank line to the pump was simply hose clamped on. If yours was crimped on then buy a short section of submerged rated fuel line. The Airtex comes with two small hose clamps already.

macro1 09-29-2012 06:37 PM

Just a conformation:

I have been running this pump in my '96 disco for over a year now with no problems.

Only difference is you can hear the pump when you turn the ignition to the on position.