Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

New owner-power steering flush

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 04:12 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner-power steering flush

Figured I would bump this instead of a new thread.

I decided to go with the Turkey baster method since I couldn't see how you guys extend the return line long enough to reach a bucket.

Basically I drained the reservoir then filled with new fluid then started the truck, full lock to full lock 3-4 times. Rinse and repeat. What i don't get is I feel like I'm filling/draining the same fluid over and over.

The first drain was a light color. Every reservoir drain after that has looked like brand new fluid. It's like it isn't even circulating through the system.

To add to that, I went to add 1 bottle of Lucas Additive like I saw recommended on here a few times and after 2-3 starts you can clearly see the reservoir is still all lucas (it is thicker).

Is it actually circulating and I'm just loosing it or what?

Truck is a 96 Disco I
I'm using Dexron III ATF w/ Lucas Power Steering Aditive.

Cheers guys.

P.S Just picked up this truck. First Land Rover so take it easy on me.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:30 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I moved your thread so you would get more hits.

The Lucas stuff is junk, you dont need it in a good working system.
The power steering fluid does not circulate like you think it would.
You would have to drive the truck for a few days before you did the turkey baster method again.
As for removing the return line and reaching a bucket, the bucket needs to be directly under the truck and you face the hose down towards it.
I believe in the tech section there is a better way to do this, it involves the air bleed screw ontop of the steering box and using a rubber tube.
Basically you loosen the bleed screw, put your rubber tubing over it and stick that into a bucket.
Loosen the screw, start the engine and keep pouring in new fluid until all the old stuff is out.
Tighten the screw back up and top off if needed.
But find and read that thread to get a better idea.
And using to much Lucas will fry your power steering pump, its to thick and you will burn up your pump.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:57 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

most, and i repeat most additives are just snake oil...

junk to spend money on, then buying parts to replace what the additives messed up.

Old 12-01-2010, 12:49 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Spike555
I moved your thread so you would get more hits.

The Lucas stuff is junk, you dont need it in a good working system.
The power steering fluid does not circulate like you think it would.
You would have to drive the truck for a few days before you did the turkey baster method again.
As for removing the return line and reaching a bucket, the bucket needs to be directly under the truck and you face the hose down towards it.
I believe in the tech section there is a better way to do this, it involves the air bleed screw ontop of the steering box and using a rubber tube.
Basically you loosen the bleed screw, put your rubber tubing over it and stick that into a bucket.
Loosen the screw, start the engine and keep pouring in new fluid until all the old stuff is out.
Tighten the screw back up and top off if needed.
But find and read that thread to get a better idea.
And using to much Lucas will fry your power steering pump, its to thick and you will burn up your pump.
God I wish I read your post before the guy that kept recommending "Valvoline and a bottle of Lucas"

I guess I'll just flush the system completely and get the lucas crap out. Hopefully it's not too thick to flush?

I appreciate the info.

Old 12-01-2010, 06:37 AM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ANd god forbid you pour actual power steering fluid in there... it which destroy the pump... ask me how I know.

ATF only.

Old 12-01-2010, 07:25 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by demonlarry

junk to spend money on, then buying parts to replace what the additives messed up.
So that is a mighty big statement from someone who probably never researched or tried any and has little or no mechanical back ground.
What do you have to back that up?????

Old 12-01-2010, 09:01 AM
Winching
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
.... I believe in the tech section there is a better way to do this, it involves the air bleed screw ontop of the steering box and using a rubber tube.... But find and read that thread to get a better idea.
Maybe I'm not with it today (more than usual) but I could not find it in either DI or the DII tech sections or the General Tech section. That would be a great one to have in those areas. Could you find it by chance?

Old 12-01-2010, 01:36 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Cosmic88
Maybe I'm not with it today (more than usual) but I could not find it in either DI or the DII tech sections or the General Tech section. That would be a great one to have in those areas. Could you find it by chance?
I've been unable to find it either.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:43 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by demonlarry

I for one, disagree. Where would you be without the additives in your ATF, motor oil, gear lubes, grease, fuel, coolant, washer fluid and so on and so forth. Additives have their place and are invaluable. That is not to say all off-the-shelf additives are great. Some are crap, but many are great and can extend the life of various components. But you must always remember that the additives need to be balanced. You souldn't run stop leak, smoke stopping additive in the engine in the place of your oil. There are instructions on the bottle, follow them but don't go overboard.
I personally love Lucas brand additives. I have seen them work 'miracles' when used in the correct place and at the correct time.

Old 12-02-2010, 06:39 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Cosmic88
Well since I have a hard enough time keeping track of my self let alone the vast number of tech articles if it is not there then it is not there.
Someone had done a write up on this and I thought I had moved it but I guess not.

Quick Reply: New owner-power steering flush