Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   Discovery I (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/)
-   -   Newly Purchased LRD (https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-i-39/newly-purchased-lrd-69025/)

MC04DII 09-08-2014 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by 98discoj (Post 480043)
I did have it scanned, the last owner said "yeah it isn't throwing a code" and it wasn't--until about an hour down the road on the way home with it (jack ass). I had it scanned and I believe it was something to do with 02 sensors (at my brother's auto parts store, he said it was the code thrown because of the missing cats). I can't remember the specific code, but I was told it was due to the 02 sensors. Does anyone have any good experience with throwing spark plug defoulers over the rear sensors to get rid of the CEL?

I put non-foulers on mine after de-catting, and I haven't thrown any codes since (about a year).

98discoj 09-09-2014 08:50 AM

Okay thank you. I suppose I should probably replace the PCV valves as well anyway

EricTyrrell 09-09-2014 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by 98discoj (Post 480650)
Okay thank you. I suppose I should probably replace the PCV valves as well anyway

No valves. Just two short hoses and an oil separator on passenger side rocker cover. Pull it out with pliers and clean all the gunk out.

98discoj 09-09-2014 01:06 PM

Oh that makes sense why no autoparts stores showed them (whoops)

98discoj 09-11-2014 11:10 PM

Well I got the front pads and rotors and wheel bearings done, so now it doesn't pull left anymore. I also tracked down part of the vacuum leak, the hose that comes out of the suction cup type thing (part of cruise control vacuum?) was split at the end so it came off. I cut the split part off and reconnected it. HOLY **** is the throttle response amazing now (it actually feels like a v8). The idle is still high, so I must continue to work on finding the source of that another day

98discoj 09-19-2014 05:40 PM

Okay as far as my research with the high idle is going, it's not as high as others are saying (almost 2000 rpms), but it it usually in the 1200-1500 range. Also, the idle drops when the A/C is turned on, which some people have said is a sign that the IACV is bad. I'm going to try to pick one up and see if that changes anything.

98discoj 09-21-2014 09:09 PM

Anyone else have any ideas? Even if i can figure out what is causing the idle to be that way, do I have to go have the ECU reset by a shop with Testbook anyway? Is it a good idea just to have them reset it without doing any parts? I just don't know how to figure out what is causing this without replacing a number of different things. Also, the hood doesn't appear to line up right as the latch keeps releasing when the wind catches it on the interstate. Anyone dealt with hood pins, and do they cause the hood to start rusting where the holes were drilled?

98discoj 10-12-2014 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by MC04DII (Post 480611)
I put non-foulers on mine after de-catting, and I haven't thrown any codes since (about a year).

What size were the non-foulers you put on? I was told the threads on the downstream O2 sensors are 12 x 1.5 I belive?

NCLR 10-14-2014 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by 98discoj (Post 482546)
Anyone else have any ideas? Even if i can figure out what is causing the idle to be that way, do I have to go have the ECU reset by a shop with Testbook anyway? Is it a good idea just to have them reset it without doing any parts? I just don't know how to figure out what is causing this without replacing a number of different things. Also, the hood doesn't appear to line up right as the latch keeps releasing when the wind catches it on the interstate. Anyone dealt with hood pins, and do they cause the hood to start rusting where the holes were drilled?

I'm struggling with a similar scenario. My idle is also up there 1500-2500.. No idea why but I also just sorta started trying to figure it out. I put a can of seafoam in it one time and it dropped it down to ~750 until I had to refuel.. Also about your hood coming up. Mine did that too recently until I pushed the hood release all the way back after pulling it, mines getting very stiff to pull so I figure it'll be a matter of time before I have to replace that as well.. Hope that helps

98discoj 10-14-2014 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by NCLR (Post 485886)
I'm struggling with a similar scenario. My idle is also up there 1500-2500.. No idea why but I also just sorta started trying to figure it out. I put a can of seafoam in it one time and it dropped it down to ~750 until I had to refuel.. Also about your hood coming up. Mine did that too recently until I pushed the hood release all the way back after pulling it, mines getting very stiff to pull so I figure it'll be a matter of time before I have to replace that as well.. Hope that helps

Well now I'm thinking mine might be the coolant temp sensor, as now that the temperature has cooled down here, it's starting at the right idle speed but increases as it warms up to about 1000rpms. Then it goes up to about 1500 when you put it in park after it's warmed up fully. The sensor is only about 10 so it's my cheapest option to try first.