Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Next .. P1177 & P1179

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 05:36 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Next .. P1177 & P1179

Drove for 25 miles today, longest its been run for a while ...

First half of the trip it was fine, return trip I started having issues (60's this morning, and 80ish this afternoon if it helps.)

It started stumbling under acceleration, dropping rpm to about 2k on/off maybe every second or so

1177 is a "Current" fault
1179 is a "pending" fault.

Got a "pending" P0307 that appeared and disappeared during the drive.

Any thoughts, I saw buncha threads bout these errors but most are less than helpful

VSS seemed to be operating fine, speedo had no visible issues, but i imagine that could be erratic as well and not register if its real quick. When I was driving it home from buying it I lost all speedo readings ... been ok since tho

Old 09-06-2013, 06:03 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 401 Likes on 385 Posts

Did the threads mention fuel pressure too low? Doubt it. Bucking would be motor not getting enough fuel and the ECU (FI) can't correct it (duh).

Sometimes you get lucky and it's just the fuel filter and sometimes it's the pump itself which isn't so bad unless the fuel line connections are corroded badly.......

Open your fuel cap. Any pressure escaping? Your sure you replaced the vent hose?

Measure your fuel pressure at the Schrader, your shooting for near 40lbs. Now you have something to do this weekend......

Old 09-06-2013, 06:06 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by ihscouts
Did the threads mention fuel pressure too low? Doubt it. Bucking would be motor not getting enough fuel and the ECU (FI) can't correct it (duh).

Sometimes you get lucky and it's just the fuel filter and sometimes it's the pump itself which isn't so bad unless the fuel line connections are corroded badly.......

Open your fuel cap. Any pressure escaping? Your sure you replaced the vent hose?

Measure your fuel pressure at the Schrader, your shooting for near 40lbs. Now you have something to do this weekend......
K will start there.... fuel filter I think has rubber hose spliced in, prolly a really bad job trying to get a real filter in there.

No pressure in the fuel tank, I bandaided the hose with a splicer and some clean hose ... maybe i'll drop the tank and replace end-to-end this weekend, after testing fuel pressure.

Old 09-06-2013, 06:45 PM
Camel Trophy

It's fairly common splicing in the fuel filter since the threaded connections put you in awkward hand positions and are a beyotch to remove on a good day.

Blow through the fuel filter, you'll know if it's bad, of course you already know it tastes bad, move on.......

Fuel pressure is utmost important to test first, tells the whole enchilada in one shot. Use a tire pressure gauge if no REAL pressure gauge is on hand. I don't like it but it works in a pinch.

If it turns out to be the pump just the pump can be replaced, not the housing and since you already did a trans a homemade setup with fuel hose is no biggie for you!

Is your 97 advanced evap (squarish can mounted horizontal) or does it have the round coffee can (vertical mount)? They changed over mid 97, mine is non-advanced and is a joy because of it.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:00 PM
Rock Crawling

I have the round one (yay ... ) I do not have a fuel pressure gauge at this point, it is on my list (seems like they are round 50$) and will have it soon... just gotta wait a payday or two

Just for grins when I was doublechecking myself on the evap, I checked the intertia switch on the firewall and when I pushed it I heard a "click" ... Strange though since I did drive it to pick up my son from the train station (1mi away) and it ran perfect for that trip

Old 09-08-2013, 10:09 AM
Rock Crawling

borrowed pressure tester from autozone, pressure reading @ 18-20psi ....

Found the 20$ airtex pump thread so cool... they are even cheaper now
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-PREMIUM-...2ac545&vxp=mtr

Anyone know fuel filter options that can be mounted with rubber?

I'll pull the filter soon as im able...

Kinda knocked out this weekend, apparently got strep ..

Last edited by nuclearw; 09-08-2013 at 10:41 AM.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:28 AM
Camel Trophy

Airtex E3270 and just ask a counter guy about the filter, they usually know.

Old 09-08-2013, 10:59 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by ihscouts
Airtex E3270 and just ask a counter guy about the filter, they usually know.
E3270 is few bucks cheaper than the GA3270 on ebay, any idea what the difference is? I know fisheh got one of the GA's and a bunch were using em from the 20$ thread.

Old 09-08-2013, 01:28 PM
Camel Trophy

No I don't know. I've had an E3270 installed for 4+ years purchased at local NAPA if that helps your decision.

Old 09-13-2013, 10:31 PM
Rock Crawling

As I said in the pump thread... Dang that was an easy job

Anyways got the new pump in and read ~30psi with a crappy tire gauge i'll take it to the parts store and do a proper test but it started up nice and quickly for once... i'll be doing some driving in it this weekend so will see if the code comes back

Quick Reply: Next .. P1177 & P1179